Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Grafixx01
Level 8

Roku Express Drops WiFi, Freezes, Restarts...

So I bought a brand new Roku Express to replace a Roku Stick. This is the third Roku device we have and have had no issues with the other two, ever. 

However, with this device, it consistently drops from the WiFi and its further away (by like 6-12") from the router than where the stick was and had NO issues with the stick. I try to access the Roku numerous times and it says its disconnected from the WiFi. I try to reconnect, even though it can see the 2.4Ghz network signal, it doesn't connect to the WiFi. I also have a 'Roku purple' banner on the TV at the bottom even though I've switched out HDMI cables with three that work fine and even a brand new one. Its not an "all the time banner", just when the surround sound comes on, the bottom has a hue that is purple rather than the black it should be and always has been with the old Roku Express and Roku Stick devices.

After about six or seven manual restarts by me using the remote, the Roku freezes and I can't do anything with it. Then after about a minute or two of the screen being stuck, the Roku Express decides to blank my TV screen out, restart itself and then it connects to the WiFi without issue... mind you ALL ON ITS OWN!

I don't have a lot of apps installed on the thing, maybe like 10-12, so it can't be that. No software updates. I'm a wireless network tech, admin and security guy so I know there is nothing wrong with the WiFi so its not that. I've connected to the 2.4Ghz channel on it during initial setup and it had no issues, installed the apps, no issues, however after about two days, this started. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Express Drops WiFi, Freezes, Restarts...

Thanks for the note here. 

Have you tested changing the wireless broadcast channel on your router to see if this clears up the issue? I'd recommend scanning to see what channels on the 2.4GHz band are not in use by other networks around you, and change your network to broadcast on one of these channels. This should help clear up interference that may be affecting performance. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
wph
Level 8

How does a person scan your router to see what channels are being used? thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ns1
Level 7

HELP!  Remote for Roku Premiere keeps locking/stops working; cannot bring up the red light on the TV that connects; batteries have been changed several times. Do I need a new remote? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
wph
Level 8

First try and reset the roku app , then see if remote works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bgw62151
Level 7

I am having the same problem. It stops and asks me to check my connection. The connection is always good. It works for 5-10 minutes and then fails again. If I bring up the channel on my PC using the native app (prime, hulu, netflix) it runs perfectly on the same wifi network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bgw62151
Level 7

Why is there no way to get help from a technician?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@bgw62151 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos