Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scoostraw
Reel Rookie

Roku Express Connects to my Phone's Wi-fi But Not My Router

Jump to solution

I searched but did not find a solution to my issue.

I have a new Roku Express.  It won't connect to my TPLink router's wifi.  I have confirmed that the password is correct.

It does connect to my android phone's mobile hotspot.  I was able to go through the setup process and it works fine this way.  But I get Error 14.40 when trying to connect to my router.  I tried 2 physical locations for the Roku box and that did not help.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.  I tried Roku support but apparently there isn't any such thing.

<edit> My password contains several symbols.  Are there any characters that Roku cannot recognize in a password?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express Connects to my Phone's Wi-fi But Not My Router

Jump to solution
Others have occasionally reported problems with non-alphanumeric characters in their wifi passwords.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
renojim

Jump to solution

Do you have an Express+ (the model number is always better than the name)?  Some routers have an issue with the "+".  If not, then I don't have any suggestions.  Sorry.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution
Others have occasionally reported problems with non-alphanumeric characters in their wifi passwords.
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

scoostraw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Guys thank you so much for the replies.

I changed my password so that it is letters only and that was the issue.  I am in and it is working well!

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution
Thanks for reporting back so people won't have to waste time asking questions and making suggestions that are no longer needed.

0 Kudos
scoostraw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

U bet.

I am now dealing with an HDCP error because I am using an old TV.  I will get a splitter which hopefully will resolve that.

I must say that I am less than impressed by Roku here.  This password issue cost me a full day and then come to find out that it is a known bug.  There is no direct support available from Roku and nowhere in their online troubleshooting information is this mentioned. 

I am not impressed.

You guys were a huge help tho.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
rconnect0

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem EXCEPT that my password only contains letters and numbers - no symbols - so I am still stuck at zero. To confirm, I am able to connect to my iPhone hotspot with no issue, but cannot connect to my wireless router though my laptop and printer have zero issues connecting to it. I also had no trouble connecting to it with my previous Roku player.

Help!

0 Kudos
scoostraw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This may be a long shot, but when I changed my router's password I used letters only (no numbers).

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@rconnect0 wrote:

I am having the same problem EXCEPT that my password only contains letters and numbers - no symbols - so I am still stuck at zero. To confirm, I am able to connect to my iPhone hotspot with no issue, but cannot connect to my wireless router though my laptop and printer have zero issues connecting to it. I also had no trouble connecting to it with my previous Roku player.

Help!

The Express is a budget model with a single band wifi receiver built in that can only use the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

If your wifi router is a dual band model that only has the 5 GHz band activated, your Express won't see it.

If that's not the issue try this:

I've found that when I've encountered wifi problems with my Rokus I've normally been able to solve them by restarting the router. After the router comes back up, restart the Roku (Settings > System > System restart) to start with a clean slate and try to reconnect.

This makes no sense to me and I don't understand why it would work, especially since other wifi devices in the house connect without issue, but it has worked for me on multiple occasions.

Drock

Jump to solution

Same issue with my family WiFi password containing letters and numbers. I’m using the Roku Express in my garage. To avoid the headache of 30 devices needing a new password without numbers I changed my guest network password to all letters.  It connected fine, and works great. Thanks for the advice. 

0 Kudos