Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express Connectivity Issues: Router or Roku Problem?

I have a Roku Express 3900R. It constantly says there is no internet connection or experiences buffering and slow playback. I bought a new modem so I know that's not the problem. My Roku won't find my 5.0 GHz option. Is this a router or Roku Express issue?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express Connectivity Issues: Router or Roku Problem?

@kmgates79 

Thanks for the note.

Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? Please be aware that the Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same issue with my Roku express 3930x. it was fine when I first connected it to my router (Google Nest Hub) in February 2020. then all of a sudden it is saying its not connected to the internet but when i checked the IP address, it was connected to the router. was there an update recently that made this not be able to connect?

Google Nest Hub doesn't broadcast two signals (2.4 and 5 ghz), it will just show one SSID and will feed the appropriate frequency to the device. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Did you find solution to your problem?  We are experiencing that same issues with our Roku express.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Experiencing the same out of no where. Every single one of my devices no longer connect to network. I even tried manually typing the network with 2.4 after. Shut everything off, factory reset. Nothing works. I have a roku tv so its just sitting there....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

To get network stability with my router, I had to disconnect my Roku express.  It's disappointing to see so many others having the same issue, probably from some sw update, and Roku not addressing.   I use OpenWRT with a NETGEAR WNDR4300.  I assign the Roku to one antenna, and it's only a matter of time for it to get disabled.  I could have 4 Firesticks + my Apple TV running for months off the same radio (2.4Ghz) without any issues.  Plug in the Roku, it crashes and OpenWRT disables the radio.

Fortunately Roku doesn't work with 5G, so that radio stays on and I can log into start the other radio after Roku has caused it to disable itself.  And then unplug the Roku.  I guess I'm going to stick with Amazon TV's/ fire sticks that run no matter what.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same issue.  All the other devices in my home, including other Roku devices, are working fine.  It would be great if Roku would address this.

0 Kudos