Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarenC
Level 7

Roku Error 20 on a wireless connection

I just starter receiving the above error code telling me to unplug my HDMI connection and plug it back in.  This is a television that is receiving the signal wirelessly so the HDMI error doesn't make sense.  I unplug the TV as well as all ROKU connections and then reconnect.  I am still receiving the Error Code 20.

Can anyone help me?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Roku Error 20 on a wireless connection

Your Roku Express receives the streaming data from the internet via wifi. It decodes the data and converts it into a useable audio/video signal and sends it to the tv via the HDMI connections. The HDMI standards require the tv and connected device (Roku in this case) to negotiate their shared connection parameters before a connection is established. One of these deals with High Definition Copy Protection (HDCP) protocols that guard against making digital copies of the programming. Without operational HDCP in place the owners of the programming will not allow their signals to be transmitted to the tv. Error 20 refers to a failure in the HDCP negotiation.

Disconnecting the HDMI will force a new HDMI negotiation between the TV and the Roku when it is reconnected.  Make sure both ends of the cable are inserted firmly into their ports.  This may be all that is needed to correct an error 20 problem. If the error persists you may have a faulty HDMI cable, or the HDMI port on either the tv or the Roku may be faulty. If the tv has more than one HDMI port, you can try connecting the Roku to a different port to see if the problem persists.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
KarenC
Level 7

Re: Roku Error 20 on a wireless connection

Thank you for explaining this in a way I could understand.  I mistakenly thought an HDMI cable was only used cable box to tv.  I will try this in the morning.  If it works you are officially my hero!

0 Kudos