Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff3_28
Reel Rookie

Roku Error 009 Firewall Issue

Hello,

I work at a Senior Living Community and with the recent events happening in Russia and Ukraine, we locked down our network more to be on the safe side.  More TCP/UDP ports were closed on the firewall. However, a couple of side effects with doing so caused certain applications to break for residents and staff.  Roku is one of the effected topics in our senior living community.  The error message we get when connecting to WiFi is error 009, it connects to our WiFi fine but can't get out.  If you connect the Roku device to a mobile WiFi hotspot, it works perfectly.  Therefore, there's an issue in our environment with the firewall, most likely.  We just don't know what TCP/UDP ports Roku uses to function properly.  In addition, I've asked Roku support via chat and they have not been helpful.  They said to reach out to our Internet Service Provider, however, our ISP is not the issue, because it all started when we made changes to the firewall.  Therefore, I'm asking the community if anyone has any knowledge on what TCP/UDP ports Roku devices utilize to function properly.   

Extra information: We use all Cisco equipment and all Roku devices are effected

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Error 009 Firewall Issue

@Jeff3_28 

These are often found to be necessary in rule-specific networks/vlans. (You may not need them all so open/close as necessary).

Outbound--> TCP 8060, UDP 1900 and 8060 

Inbound--> TCP 5150 and 9080, UDP 6970 and 6971 (6970/6971 for private listening app feature of Roku devices)

Post back with an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Jeff3_28
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar  

Thank you for the information.  We're going to try out those ports and see what happens.  

0 Kudos
Jeff3_28
Reel Rookie

@AvsGunnar 

Any other ports that you can think of that would allow Roku to work?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Jeff3_28 

Generally, as long as the http (80) and https(443) service ports are open, the Roku device should be able to connect.  The other ports I mentioned are normally for additional options used by Roku.  Other than those mentioned above, no other ones "needed" to connect although additional ones may be needed by additional services, but not Roku in particular re: connection.

Since you are connecting to internet, and only Roku devices not connecting, I am assuming you have 80 and 443 configured correctly. 

(https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=... and https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?search=...).

This list may be easier to read re: ports mentioned above and in other posting. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers)

------------------

Other things to try...

1. Lower firewall settings(or revert back to original setting) and see if Roku connects.

2. Verify that network is still configured properly to allow discovery of Roku devices.

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

--------

Sometimes routers in their Security Settings will automatically apply unrelated settings so chasing down ports may get tiresome.  Unless you can monitor the network to see what changes are being applied with each level of increased Firewall (or at least documentation of settings), maybe just lowering the Settings will resolve your issues.  Additionally, you can just place the Rokus on a seperate guest network with lowered settings and that may also be a viable solution. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos