Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku 5ghz

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Ultra (4670X) and despite being about 15 feet away from the access point, it only connects with the 2.4 GHz radio, not 5 GHz. I would have thought the Ultra would do 5 GHz but it doesn't appear to want to. My SSID is dual-band and it is supposed to steer high-bandwidth devices to 5GHz but Roku isn't being steered. Because of this, I can't stream 4K. I will eventually have Ethernet to the device, but I was hoping 5 GHz would tie me over before I get it in. I just bought a new home and still running network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@bigRoN18  :  The Roku Ultra is definitely dual band, so my guess is that the problem lies with access point configuration.  I have a Netgear extender that has a setting that allows devices to connect automatically to the stronger signal (2.4 or 5GHz). I had to turn that feature off in order to get my device to connect consistently to 5GHz. 

This should not be a problem with an Access Point or Wireless Router but, you might check around in your configuration to make sure that both radios are active.

Can other 5Ghz devices connect?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

“Premiere” means “First in status or importance; principal or chief.”

You might call it the best of the best.

The expectation is that it would support the latest standard, which is most certainly not 2.4g.

I just bought one and I wouldn’t even fathom that a manufacturer would stoop to this level. 

BTW. I’m a network guy and remember when 2.4 came out, which means I’m an old network guy. Might as well get out the Atari. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi!

Same here, but I found the solution in another thread.

The problem is the "channel". It seems that Roku doesn't like some channels...

Mine was AUTO and was at 100. I changed to 149 (fixed), and then Roku found my 5GHz wireless SSID.

Regards.

0 Kudos