Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 5ghz

Jump to solution

Morning, i have been battling this problem all night and have come up on the loosing side. I cannot for the life of me get my brand new roku premiere to even realize that i have a 5ghz band. It will happily connect to 2.4ghz but that band is super clogged up here and reports speeds of 0.5mbps,  on the other hand 5ghz is reporting 250mbps. No matter what settings i have changed when i click scan for networks on my roku 5ghz doesnt show up. I have gone through every channel available, with the same outcome each time. I have gone through every mode (eg: AC, N A) and every security mode (eg: WPA2) with no luck. Tried inputting the SSID manually. Adding the rokus MAC manually. I have even factory restored my router so to rule out a finicky setting option. I even got my ISP involved to help me work it out and they drew a blank as well. Can anyone help me? Maybe im missing some random option hidden down in my router. 

Info:
Router: Arris DG3450A.
Roku premiere.

Extra info: I have restarted my router multiple times, as well as the roku. 
Every other device i have recognizes the 5ghz wifi.

I have googled and read every thread related to roku and 5ghz problems and tried every fix action recommended with no luck.

Thank you for your help.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Roku 5ghz

Jump to solution
"kapaskae" wrote:
Morning, i have been battling this problem all night and have come up on the loosing side. I cannot for the life of me get my brand new roku premiere to even realize that i have a 5ghz band. It will happily connect to 2.4ghz but that band is super clogged up here and reports speeds of 0.5mbps,  on the other hand 5ghz is reporting 250mbps. No matter what settings i have changed when i click scan for networks on my roku 5ghz doesnt show up. I have gone through every channel available, with the same outcome each time. I have gone through every mode (eg: AC, N A) and every security mode (eg: WPA2) with no luck. Tried inputting the SSID manually. Adding the rokus MAC manually. I have even factory restored my router so to rule out a finicky setting option. I even got my ISP involved to help me work it out and they drew a blank as well. Can anyone help me? Maybe im missing some random option hidden down in my router. 

Info:
Roku premiere.

I have googled and read every thread related to roku and 5ghz problems and tried every fix action recommended with no luck.

Thank you for your help.

The new Premiere line, like the similar form Express line, only supports 2.4 GHz.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-premiere

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution
"kapaskae" wrote:

Info:
Roku premiere.

Thank you for your help.

The new Premiere line, like the similar form Express line, only supports 2.4 GHz.

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-premiere

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I cannot believe a 21st century would put out a 20th century product.  To not include 5Ghz wifi is quite disrespectful of your customer base.  This is my 7th Roku device, but, since I cannot trust, it may be my last.  My router provides 200Mgbs up and down oh 5Ghz and 50Mbps down and 31Mbps up on 2.4Ghz.  Seems obvious which bandwidth I should use; but I can’t!

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I totally agree that devices without 5Ghz service are really really old school. I was also shocked to learn that Roku has restricted some of its NEWEST devices to only the 2.4Ghz band.  ALL Roku devices must have both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands or I won't buy it.  And all devices by now should have MU-MIMO.  You can and must do better to stay competitive.  

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Agreed, I found out the hard way that Roku's "premeire" player is really quit inferior.  Very disappointing, I'm looking at other brands for a replacement.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

2.4g is more robust in than 5g and that's just a fact. 

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well of course it is.  Well unless you have a different meaning you are applying to "robust".  According to the dictionary which says robust means "strong and healthy; vigorous" is not a word I would have chosen to define a stronger wifi signal. 

And it all depends doesn't it?  I mean are you going for speed or a strong signal.  I have seen both on various different systems.  For example, you could have a Roku box in the next room which you have attached to your router by 5G and another 50' away through 3 walls.  Now most people would say the 2.4 G signal will work better right.  Well maybe it all depends on what you are trying to achieve speed or power levels.  I can get about 150 mbps through Roku Streaming Stick + and my router on 5G.  I can get about 20 on 2.4G.  About the same with my Roku TV however the Roku TV on 5G if further from the router but it is almost a perfect line of sight transmission.  So I use 5G whenever possible. 

But you won't get any argument out of me - generally speaking the 2.4 Ghz band does a much better job if you have walls or other obstacle between the Roku player and your router.  But without a bunch of walls and obstruction, 5G will smoke 2.4 G all day long as far as raw speed is concerned.  While it is a weaker signal it to me is significantly faster.

And yes it is my belief that Roku needs to step up their game and put both into EVERYONE of their products.  Just having 2.4 is not being competitive.  Have a great day.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

i AGREE I LUST BOUGHT A NEW DEVICE AND NO WHERE IN THE DESCRIPTION DID IT SAY NO 5GHZ. NOW I HAVE A USELESS PAPERWEIGHT. I HAVE HAD LIMITED SUCCESS IN THE PAST WITH OTHER UNITS ALSO GOING TO GO A DIFFERENT ROUTE.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Let me get this straight.  Someone buys a near low-end Roku, which is priced for the cost conscious consumer, realizes it is not full featured and starts a rant.  The specification for the Premiere model could not be clearer: single band wireless.   If you want dual band, spring for a few bucks more and quit complaining about how Roku 'disrespected' you.  Geez.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

TU Roketman, somebody had to say it !

0 Kudos