Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rchipke
Level 8

Roku 3810 Stick+ no longer sees my network

Both of my Roku 3810 Stick+ no longer see my network. All was fine last night 11/12/2020. Now today neither one sees any of the 7 networks I can see from my laptop. Only 2 are mine the rest are neighbors. All my other devices connect fine.

I spent the day on a chat with support and still no fix.  They blame my ISP but when I called them they of course said if everything else is working then the problem is with Roku.  I unplugged everything, rebooted everything, and reset one Roku back to factory to start fresh.  They had me connect to my phone hot spot to do the update to 9.4 and now I can see my hot spot but still no wifi networks.  I have a Linksys WRT1900ac. Any help would be great. Thanks, Robert

13 Replies
thoroc
Level 8

Re: Roku 3810 Stick+ no longer sees my network

I have a similar issue upgrading to 9.4 with a 3810EU device.

All the SSID the device can see are neighbours' one. I have gone through the trouble of changing channel, restricting the width to 20Mhz, renaming the SSID on the router (Linksys WRT32X) and tried multiple ways to reset the network settings on the device. Both router and Roku stick have been rebooted multiple times.

rchipke
Level 8

Well now my brother in law is having the same problem on both of his Roku's. He has a 3810 and a 3920 and the same Linksys router that I have. He is much more technical than I am and he is looking for a temporary work around. 

I did borrowed a friends 3810 to see if it would connect at my house and it also found no networks. So it seems like a problem with Roku and Linksys compatibility.  My next thing is to try my Roku at my friends house because he has a Netgear.

wingnut0320
Level 7

I had the same problem happen to two of my Roku Premiere devices.  Both went down on 13 Nov 2020.  I think it coincided with a Roku update to 9.4.0.  I spent many hours working on this and finally came to a solution.  I was able to test it on one of my devices.  The other one is an hour drive away so I won't be able to test it there for a few more days.

I also have a Linksys WRT1900AC running OpenWRT.  I was running an old version (15.05).  I upgraded it to the current release of 19.07.4.  Just the upgrade didn't fix it.  However, messing around with the settings of the bgn radio is what fixed it.  If you edit your SSID and go into "Advanced Settings", then uncheck the box for "Allow legacy 802.11b rates".  Mine started working immediately after making that change.

Fix for Roku not working.png

freebieforall
Level 8

I have the same router and OpenWRT version installed, and I can confirm that this setting helped. Thank you! I've tried any/all settings, but the combination of disabling "legacy 802.11b rates" and putting the channel on Auto fixed it.

Sparhawkdude
Level 7

I have the same router configuration.  However, I'm running DD-WRT v3.0-r35531 std (03/26/18). I'm unable to find "Allow legacy 802.11b rates" anywhere in this version of DD-WRT.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
rchipke
Level 8

That did not work for us. My brother in law say we have different code on our routers.

He says it is called ddwrt. 

I am not sure what that means but if you have any other ideas please let me know. Thanks, Robert

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

My router with DD-WRT is collecting dust, but there should be settings for Wireless Mode:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings#Wireless_Mode

0 Kudos
MrCasey
Level 8

Ha.  I have confirmed this works in OpenWRT 19.07.3 on a Linksys WRT3200ACM.  Three Roku Express devices now reconnected.  "Edit your SSID and go into "Advanced Settings", then uncheck the box for "Allow legacy 802.11b rates""

rchipke
Level 8

Unfortunately we do not have OpenWRT code on our routers. Still hoping to find something that can fix my problem. Thanks, Robert 

0 Kudos