Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobCo
Level 7

Roku 3800X causing network congestion and/or lagging

I use my Roku almost exclusively for SLING and occasionally for Roku channels.
Lately Sling keeps dropping or I get the busy "wheel" the circle as it's trying to stream a show.  I also get the network error messages as well.

It is NOT a Sling issue as I stream Sling on my laptop with no problem AND the Roku channels have the same issue.
I ping Google's DNS server 8.8.8.8 to see how my traffic is and when the Roku engages the time for the packet jumps into triple digits from 16 or 17 or 21 to 200 something so I know it is the Roku stick and nothing else.

Any ideas?
Perhaps a Firestick?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BobCo
Level 7

Re: Roku 3800X causing network congestion and/or lagging

And when I do a ping, I do a persistent pig (using the -t qualifier) so I can monitor the jumps and traffic.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Roku 3800X causing network congestion and/or lagging

Try this to renew Roku connections:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos