Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku 3600x screen cast over 5ghz wireless

Hello.  I have a new Netgear Nighthawk R8000 now serving as my router with both 2.4 and 5ghz wireless available.  The Roku 3600x stick works with either, but projecting my Windows 10 laptop screen to the stick and Samsung TV only works over the 2.4 wireless channels.
Is there something I need to do on the router to fix that?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 21

Re: Roku 3600x screen cast over 5ghz wireless

I've heard, but have not seen any supporting information, that both devices must be using the same wireless band. However, that doesn't seem logical to me, and I can cast from my Windows 10 laptop to Roku devices that are connected to either wireless band, or even if the Roku is wired. 

What might be possible is that your 5 GHz band might have the setting enabled that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. Not certain how Netgear labels that function, but worth looking through the settings. Might be under security, might be in the radio settings, or some other place. I just have no idea as I don't have any Netgear routers. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 14

@Burnhaven wrote:

Hello.  I have a new Netgear Nighthawk R8000 now serving as my router with both 2.4 and 5ghz wireless available.  The Roku 3600x stick works with either, but projecting my Windows 10 laptop screen to the stick and Samsung TV only works over the 2.4 wireless channels.
Is there something I need to do on the router to fix that?

Since it affects both Miracast receivers, there's nothing particular to the Roku at play here.  Miracast working only over 2.4Ghz isnt uncommon, depending (make sure the Wireless NIC in your Win10 PC has both 2.4 and 5Ghz, and has both enabled).

However, if you want to verify your wireless gateway/router configuration isnt at issue:

1) Make sure you have separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz

2) Try changing the 5Ghz channel (if its in the 36-48 range, change it to the 149-165 range, or vice versa)

3) Change/reduce the bandwidth (to 20 or 40 from auto or 80 etc)

4) Make sure settings like "AP/Client Isolation" are disabled.

0 Kudos
Level 7

thanks for the responses.  I'll go through them one by one.   Since this 7 year old Samsung TV has been working on 2.4ghz wifi for years, with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc
the 2.4 may be more than adequate.  There is a way to run an ethernet cable direct from tv to router, but not sure how that would help the roku stick.

0 Kudos
Level 21

@Burnhaven wrote:

There is a way to run an Ethernet cable direct from TV to router, but not sure how that would help the Roku stick.

Won't help in the least. It's WiFi only. Smiley Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I put the question to the Netgear forum but I suppose in the meantime I can just run an HDMI cable it's only about 7 feet from laptop to TV

0 Kudos
Level 7

Is there really any downside to leaving my roku stick on a 2.4ghz wireless radio?   I guess I could see a problem if we get a new TV with higher resolution.   Overall I think I'd rather have it on 5ghz and just use an hdmi cable from the laptop if I need to share the screen.

0 Kudos
Level 21

@Burnhaven wrote:

Is there really any downside to leaving my roku stick on a 2.4ghz wireless radio?   I guess I could see a problem if we get a new TV with higher resolution.   Overall I think I'd rather have it on 5ghz and just use an hdmi cable from the laptop if I need to share the screen.

Downside? Not really. There's two advantages to using 5 GHz or 2.4. One is that there's less interference on the 5 GHz band, although with more and more routers including both bands it's not as quiet as it used to be. The other is speed, but unless you're streaming ripped UHD media from a personal home media server, you'll never come close to maxing out even a slow 2.4 GHz connection. The major online media sources (Netflix, Amazon, Vudu) max out at well under 20 Mbps even with 4K material, and even an older 802.11g connection can stream at just under 50 Mbps. Most home routers now support at least 802.11n, which starts at 150 Mbps and goes higher from there. Naturally, factors can reduce those theoretical limits, but in general almost anyone should be fine streaming from the Internet with a connection of at least 30 Mbps. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Level 7

thanks again.  It could also be due to using a usb wifi adapter in my 6-year-old toshiba laptop, to get the 5ghz channels.  The original built-in adapter doesn't do 5ghz. 
Too many variables to waste time on.  Our DSL with centurylink is about 35 down and 5 up so it sounds like for now I'm safe with 2.4 for the Roku.   Time to upgrade the laptop.

0 Kudos