Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Roku 3 wifi connection issues

Hi,

I have 2 Roku 3 devices in 2 rooms connected by wifi, and a Plex sever connected by wires. Recently the Roku furthest away from the router really struggles for a wifi signal so I moved it a bit closer, which has helped but not fixed it. The other Roku is in a unit underneath the router, literally half a meter away and that one struggles too. I've bought a network switch so I can wire it in, but I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas as to why this has started to happen recently? Nothing changed in my network setup and sometimes the Roku under the router can't stream Plex at all, and Netflix looks like it's running at 480 or something. They've both been fine for years.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku 3 wifi connection issues

1) Your router can be configured to use several different wifi channels.  Interference from other nearby systems using the same channel can seriously degrade wifi performance. You may have had a neighboring system start up, or change the channel it uses, and start interfering with your system.  Experiment with configuring your router to use a different wifi channel to see if you can improve performance.  There are apps you can install on your phone to help you find channels with less intrference.

2) It is actually possible to be too close to the router such that the signal is too strong and overwhelms the Roku's wifi receiver.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos