Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indowarrior
Level 7

Roku 3 not connecting after power outage

Had a brand-new Roku 3 up and running in the bedroom last night. I was impressed.

Less so this afternoon, when I realized that it would no longer hold a connection to our wireless router. The Roku shows the wireless, allows me to connect, but I'm thinking it never really connects, as when I leave that screen and try anything else it's back to square 1 with a broken connection.

We did have a power outage this a.m., but all other devices in the house have powered up fine and connect fine.

I tried powering down modem-router-roku and then powering back up, but no change. The router config has not changed at all.

I can't check via ethernet since the tv's are a ways away from the router/modem.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

B.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RickRansom
Level 8

Re: Roku 3 not connecting after power outage

What's the make and model of your router? Does it have a guest network? I used to have a Cisco router that had a guest network. Whenever the Roku connected there, it would never work. The guest network on Cisco routers require you to enter a password from a web browser which the Roku doesn't have. Ended up disabling it so the Roku would always connect to my main wireless network.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
indowarrior
Level 7

Comtrend modem with Airport Extreme, in bridge mode. Bridge mode means no guest network on Extreme, just main network.

Weird that Roku shows me as connected (via the 3 green checkmarks) but then on subsequent screen no connectivity.

Thanks
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

First thing I'd do is power down both the router and the Roku, then reboot the router, then the Roku.
That usually does it for me.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
indowarrior
Level 7

Rebooting hasn't done it for me.

Frustrating thing is that I am stuck on the same page/loop now - after reboot the same page informing me that connection has failed and offering me to try again shows up, every time.

I also cannot figure out how to access the Reset feature. I have put paper clip into the Reset hole at the back, but it feels 'empty', no button to be found!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"indowarrior" wrote:
Rebooting hasn't done it for me....

You said reboot. That's not the same thing as a power down of the Airport Extreme.

I have an Airport Extreme, and last night, I was having a slow Internet connection. Turns out it was the wireless on the Airport Extreme. Connecting a LAN cable to my Mac got me 15Mbps. Using the wireless connection got me <1Mbps. I restarted/rebooted the Airport Extreme, and it didn't fix it. I unplugged it, left it off for 30 seconds, plugged it back in, and when it finished its bootup, everything was fine.

That's why I'm wanting to clarify that you actually powered the Airport Extreme down, and didn't simply do a reboot/restart via AirPort Utility or something.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
indowarrior
Level 7

Thanks Basil,

Yes I powered down modem and router first thing, leaving all components off for some time before turning back on, and im the required order. Also all other devices on network are buzzing along.

I'm stuck now wishing I could do a factory reset. But there's no way to get to the menu and as I mentioned I cannot find the actual reset button on the unit!
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"indowarrior" wrote:
Thanks Basil,

Yes I powered down modem and router first thing, leaving all components off for some time before turning back on, and im the required order. Also all other devices on network are buzzing along.

I'm stuck now wishing I could do a factory reset. But there's no way to get to the menu and as I mentioned I cannot find the actual reset button on the unit!

For the Roku? Grab a paper clip. Straighten one of the loops. With the Roku plugged in, press and hold the reset button. Hold it in continuously for over 30 seconds. Some recommend 45, some a full minute. Use your judgment, as long as that judgement isn't less than 30 seconds.

That's a reset. Should take care of most stuff, to get you to where you can use the device.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
indowarrior
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
For the Roku? Grab a paper clip. Straighten one of the loops. With the Roku plugged in, press and hold the reset button. Hold it in continuously for over 30 seconds. Some recommend 45, some a full minute. Use your judgment, as long as that judgement isn't less than 30 seconds.

That's a reset. Should take care of most stuff, to get you to where you can use the device.

Tried that, got a long clip straightened out, went fishing and to my surprise cannot find the button... The clip goes all the way into the unit as though its just empty space. Sigh...
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"indowarrior" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:

Tried that, got a long clip straightened out, went fishing and to my surprise cannot find the button... The clip goes all the way into the unit as though its just empty space. Sigh...

The little hole right underneath the power jack?

Yeah, what you're experiencing is not right. And it don't sound good, either.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos