Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku 3 no ethernet connection

I hadn't used my Roku 3 for a while but when l did l could not get any remote to connect and the roku screen on the tv said no connection.

In the end l did a factory reset.

Now it wont connect via ethernet although I can get it working via wireless. But ethernet connection give error 13.50

The cable is ok as l have tested it with a music streamer and its all ok. The lights on the roku 3 are ok and in my router management it shows an ip address but shows it up as an unknown device.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 21

Re: Roku 3 no ethernet connection

Have you reset your router?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Reset the router loads of times!

I can see the ip address in the router management software it appears and disappears as l reboot the roku but the roku jut shows that l have a cable connection but won't pick up the ip address.

0 Kudos
Level 21

I don't have a good answer for you, but my Roku 3 does something similar with its wired connection.  When I reboot it will say it's not connected to the network, but it clearly is.  I can even telnet to it.  I have to go through the network setup every time, but unlike you I get the green check marks.  There's clearly something flakey with the Roku 3's wired connection.

So if you set it up with the wireless connection, everything is fine?  What happens when you then switch the network connection to wired?  Is that when you see the 13.50 error or does it only happen when you reboot?  I'd give another Ethernet cable a shot even though it works with something else.  Another thing I'd try is to use the wired MAC address (found in Settings->System->About) to set up a DHCP reservation in your router.  Over the years I've noticed Rokus are much more happy if the router isn't trying to give them a different IP address every time they reboot.  Just make sure to reboot everything after you make any changes.

It would be nice if Roku documented exactly what these error codes mean.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Hi sorry for the delay in replying.

I have done more testing. I got hold of a long hdmi cable so l could try with a short ethernet cable l had as my router is the other side of the room. The roku 3 instantly connected via ethernet. I then got a ethernet cable tester and checked my original cable and as expected it checked out ok.

Unfortunately I am still no closer to getting it to connect with the 4 meter long cable.

It seems to be some sort of attenuation effect but the Roku 3 worked before with that cable.

0 Kudos
Level 7

To answer your questions

Wireless is fine

I get the error code if l delete the wireless connection and try to set up wired or ir l leave the wireless details alone and try to set up wired along side.

0 Kudos