Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 eating up bandwidth when TV is off?

"twiceover" wrote:
It's not really a "problem" roku doesn't know you shut the TV off, I don't think any of their devices do.  The reason Netflix stop streaming when you turn off the PC is because you turned off the source of the streaming (the PC).  If your TV has a USB, plug the stick power into that USB and when you turn off the TV it will turn off power to the Roku also (well, most TVs do anyway).

You should also contact your ISP and complain regularly about having a cap at all.

I'm not buying into the fact that the Roku does not know you shut the TV off.  I use my Roku remote to turn the TV on and off.  To the laymen it would seem obvious to me that using the Roku remote it should know what I'm turning on and off.  This should be a simple fix for Roku that should have been addressed a long time ago.  I'm probably a typical adapter of streaming tv to "cut the cord".  I'm not a techie and I'm learning the hard way.  Directv Now does not even have a phone number for help.  I got on a chat when I got a message on D Now that I had too many devices streaming.   I was totally confused because I only had one TV on and my contract is to be able to watch three devices at once (I have four TV's with ROKU devices).  I spent 30 minutes "chatting" with D-Now and all he did was refresh my account and he was "absolutely sure" my problem was fixed.   Three hours later it gave me the same message.  He never even mentioned that my problem might be they were still streaming even though my TV's were off.  I had to figure it out on my own.  This is all new to me, and I'm 65 years old and don't have a grandchild to help me with this stuff.  
What this learning experience has told me is that even though internet streaming tv is a few years old now, they have not figured out how to make it easy for people like me (and obviously there are a lot like me).  D-Now even has a trouble shooting function on their website that addresses the error code I was getting.  And it does not mention that we may have devices still streaming with the TV turned off.  Their solution is to reboot their "app", and if that doesn't work to delete their app and then reinstall it.  That was not even close to the solution for me.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"TexasDnowj" wrote:
I'm not buying into the fact that the Roku does not know you shut the TV off. I use my Roku remote to turn the TV on and off.  To the laymen it would seem obvious to me that using the Roku remote it should know what I'm turning on and off.  This should be a simple fix for Roku that should have been addressed a long time ago.  I'm probably a typical adapter of streaming tv to "cut the cord".  I'm not a techie and I'm learning the hard way. ...

That's the thing about facts. They don't care whether or not you like 'em.

You see, the ON/OFF is an IR command. I don't know how "non-techie" you are, so I'll explain that IR is infrared. Non-visible light, not WiFi, like the Roku remote used for standard commands to the Roku. Yes, it could know if you pressed the On/Off button, but it doesn't know if you pointed the remote the wrong way, if the cat got in the way, if the Roku was askew and didn't read the IR signal, or any of a bunch of things.

Now, could Roku have the On/Off button also act as a Home button and return to the Main Menu? Sure. But just as soon as someone accidentally hit the off button and tried to turn it back on without interrupting the stream of a football game, and then missed a big play because the On/Off went to the Main Menu and they had to dig back down into the ESPN app to find the game and by then the play was over... You see, there are always scenarios where it wouldn't work like someone wants.

Maybe there is a way of accomplishing things, but not sure how to make it feasible without introducing other issues.

So, if you leave the Roku streaming, it'll keep streaming, whether or not you turn the TV off. Them's the facts.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I use Roku and Youtube TV as my primary streaming of TV. I was using way over 1TB in my first 2 month with Comcast. Saw a note about shutting down Youtube TV. Note, on a trip and with closing the YouTube TV before leaving, data useage stayed the same - 142mb for a week. Had daughter go over to house turn tv on, open YouTube tv app, shut tv off without closing app and useage went from 142 to 153 over nite with no other changes. Will do another design of exprement when we return home. Know one thing, will sitting all apps of prior to powering tv off.

Any thoughts from anyone about other things to do?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

"MJWEST" wrote:
I use Roku and Youtube TV as my primary streaming of TV.  I was using way over 1TB in my first 2 month with Comcast.  Saw a note about shutting down Youtube TV.  Note, on a trip and with closing the YouTube TV before leaving, data useage stayed the same - 142mb for a week.  Had daughter go over to house turn tv on, open YouTube tv app, shut tv off without closing app and useage went from 142 to 153 over nite with no other changes.  Will do another design of exprement when we return home.  Know one thing, will sitting all apps of prior to powering tv off.  

Any thoughts from anyone about other things to do?

One option might be to use a switched power strip. It will detect when the TV is turned off and power off all of the remaining outlets in the strip. If your Roku is connected there, it will be powered down when the TV is turned off. Of course, you now have to deal with waiting for the Roku to boot every time you want to use it, but it will eliminate any chance of data usage when the TV is off. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
One option might be to use a switched power strip. It will detect when the TV is turned off and power off all of the remaining outlets in the strip. If your Roku is connected there, it will be powered down when the TV is turned off. Of course, you now have to deal with waiting for the Roku to boot every time you want to use it, but it will eliminate any chance of data usage when the TV is off. 

Yep thats what I use with my Roku Ultra. I got a power strip from amazon that has a master outlet for the TV and then the other outlets each  have a switch you can select to have individually an outlet on always or on only when the TV is on.
Roku only takes about 10sec to power up so I don't mind.
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"TexasDnowj" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
It's not really a "problem" roku doesn't know you shut the TV off, I don't think any of their devices do.  The reason Netflix stop streaming when you turn off the PC is because you turned off the source of the streaming (the PC).  If your TV has a USB, plug the stick power into that USB and when you turn off the TV it will turn off power to the Roku also (well, most TVs do anyway).

You should also contact your ISP and complain regularly about having a cap at all.

I'm not buying into the fact that the Roku does not know you shut the TV off.  I use my Roku remote to turn the TV on and off.  To the laymen it would seem obvious to me that using the Roku remote it should know what I'm turning on and off.  This should be a simple fix for Roku that should have been addressed a long time ago.  I'm probably a typical adapter of streaming tv to "cut the cord".  I'm not a techie and I'm learning the hard way.  Directv Now does not even have a phone number for help.  I got on a chat when I got a message on D Now that I had too many devices streaming.   I was totally confused because I only had one TV on and my contract is to be able to watch three devices at once (I have four TV's with ROKU devices).  I spent 30 minutes "chatting" with D-Now and all he did was refresh my account and he was "absolutely sure" my problem was fixed.   Three hours later it gave me the same message.  He never even mentioned that my problem might be they were still streaming even though my TV's were off.  I had to figure it out on my own.  This is all new to me, and I'm 65 years old and don't have a grandchild to help me with this stuff.  
What this learning experience has told me is that even though internet streaming tv is a few years old now, they have not figured out how to make it easy for people like me (and obviously there are a lot like me).  D-Now even has a trouble shooting function on their website that addresses the error code I was getting.  And it does not mention that we may have devices still streaming with the TV turned off.  Their solution is to reboot their "app", and if that doesn't work to delete their app and then reinstall it.  That was not even close to the solution for me.

I am in the same boat 1 month data use is close to my Comcast 1TB and I don't have the TV on all day. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"mortis" wrote:
I am in the same boat 1 month data use is close to my Comcast 1TB and I don't have the TV on all day. 

Are you returning to the Home screen on the Roku when you're done streaming? If you're simply turning the TV off, and not returning the Roku to the Home screen, the Roku will keep streaming.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

...and the one thing we can be sure of:
Developers are NOT users. 

Developers also don't have data caps.

Roku puck and stick owners with caps should stop streams before they go on vacation, of course, because your puck/stick (in most cases) doesn't know your TV is off and that's a good idea for Roku TV owners as well, but the VAST majority of Roku TV Owners have enough common horse sense to know if the TV is off there's no reason to continue a stream. Unfortunately Candidate Developers just have to be handy with code. They don't have to know how to get their shoes on the right feet.

The bottom line, of course, is that if you have a Data Cap you don't have any bidness owning a streamer - of any kind. It's time to find a new ISP. Data Caps are a rip-off by your provider to fleece even more money out of you than they're already fleecing out of you with UFB Over-The-Top pricing. Data Caps are also a way your internet provider (who also wants to be your Pay TV Provider - if they're not already) makes it as difficult as they can for you to get ANYTHING to watch that you don't have to pay them for.

You have many things working against you here - Developmentally or driven by basic, raw greed... pick one. Stop the streams before you walk away (good luck explaining that to your 97 year old, or your 4 year old). At this point it's the User Work-Around that works.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"mortis" wrote:

Are you returning to the Home screen on the Roku when you're done streaming? If you're simply turning the TV off, and not returning the Roku to the Home screen, the Roku will keep streaming.

I adjusted the settings to 720P and reminded all users to hit the home button first before turning off the TV. Will look again in a couple of days to see if the data has significantly changed. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"TexasDnowj" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
This is all new to me, and I'm 65 years old and don't have a grandchild to help me with this stuff.  

Well, I'm 62 now, grew up in the same generation as you, and have no nice child or grandchild to tinker with these newfangled devices as well. Add to that being labeled a "dumb girl" by my fellow students when I was in junior./senior high school and not allow to take any Shop Classes-way back in the late 1960s/early 1970s.  I still remember to always apply the KISS (keep it simple stupid!) approach to technology along with the everything else life threw at me.  It really does work!
So I use my 3 Roku devices with just one additional inexpensive (cheap) product I always use with each of my devices on or off the road.  Here it is in another thread:  
How To Easily Turn Any Roku On Or Off Without Pulling It Out Of It’s Port All The Time
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=152944&p=645035&hilit=Plug+In+On%2FOff+Switch#p645035[/...
0 Kudos