Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karrun
Level 7

Roku 3 eating up bandwidth when TV is off?

I am concerned that my two Roku 3s are continuing to "stream" even when my TV is off. I have a 350 GB cap and I have gotten notices a few times lately that I am nearing my cap. We do use the Roku quite a bit, but not likely this much in our normal viewing habits. What makes me suspect the streaming issue when the TV is off is a few times I turn the TV back on and there is a Youtube video playing immediately that had no connection to what I was watching last. Like this morning there was a Pakistani election debate in Urdu! Not something I would likely watch. I can only assume that Youtube was streaming all night and this is what it eventually played. Also, my husband was watching an episode of Cheers on another Roku 3 and paused the video and turned off the TV. When he turned the TV on later, that episode had apparently finished.
0 Kudos
19 Replies
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

Re: Roku 3 eating up bandwidth when TV is off?

Do what I do and make sure that you go back to the main menu when finished viewing an app. In fact, I don't even leave it at "Home" but at "Settings" as extra proof against streaming*. My Roku responds to other remotes, but I did this as a precaution even before that started to happen (and I don't even have data caps). If you are really worried, you can unplug the Roku.

Turning your TV off has no effect on the Roku.

*as a side effect, this also allows you to use the same apps on different devices that do not allow you to have multiple streams at the same time
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"karrun" wrote:
I am concerned that my two Roku 3s are continuing to "stream" even when my TV is off. I have a 350 GB cap and I have gotten notices a few times lately that I am nearing my cap. We do use the Roku quite a bit, but not likely this much in our normal viewing habits. What makes me suspect the streaming issue when the TV is off is a few times I turn the TV back on and there is a Youtube video playing immediately that had no connection to what I was watching last. Like this morning there was a Pakistani election debate in Urdu! Not something I would likely watch. I can only assume that Youtube was streaming all night and this is what it eventually played. Also, my husband was watching an episode of Cheers on another Roku 3 and paused the video and turned off the TV. When he turned the TV on later, that episode had apparently finished.

Do you have a desktop computer? Go launch YouTube and start playing something. Leave it on AutoPlay (the default). Now, turn off your monitor. Just the monitor.

YouTube is still playing. You just don't see it. Wait a minute and turn your monitor back on. See? YouTube was still playing.

Same thing with Roku, Apple TV, Nexus Player, Chromecast, Fire TV, and them all. They use the TV as a monitor (plus sound) and nothing more.

Just like turning off your desktop monitor didn't stop your computer from playing, turning off your TV doesn't stop your attached device from continuing to run.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
karrun
Level 7

Thanks everyone for the advice. Is there a way to turn off autoplay on Youtube on the Roku, just in case I forget to go back to the home screen?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"karrun" wrote:
Thanks everyone for the advice. Is there a way to turn off autoplay on Youtube on the Roku, just in case I forget to go back to the home screen?

Unless they've updated the app, it uses the browser setting. On YouTube Website, in the top right corner, underneath your name, is the switch.

Edit: They have updated the app. In Settings, AutoPlay can be turned off. http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=92289
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
mike_ekim
Level 7

OP is using a Roku 3. Are you using a WiFi remote? Is the Roku 3 located where it could receive IR signals from a remote that controls the TV or other equipment? If you are using a WiFi remote, relocating the Roku 3 to a place where it cannot receive IR signals may solve your problem.

"karrun" wrote:
Also, my husband was watching an episode of Cheers on another Roku 3 and paused the video and turned off the TV. When he turned the TV on later, that episode had apparently finished.

This could be the related to the issues some people are having, where Rokus are controlled by other equipment's remote controls. For example if your husband pauses Cheers, then turns off the TV with a remote, the "last button pressed" phenomenon may "press" the play/pause button on the Roku and Cheers will continue playing. Incidentally, when you turn on the TV it will pause the show again! Give it a try: pause the show, but note the time of the show (i.e. 12:30 watched so far). Then turn off the tv, wait a few minutes, turn it on again. Is the show at a different time?
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=92179

It's possible that other remotes in the home have been causing new YouTube videos to play, and your Roku went down the "next video" path that lead to a Pakistani election debate.

Edit: OP has a Roku 3. Assuming they use a WiFi remote, possibly
0 Kudos
FX4
Level 7

One of the advantages of Roku 4, you turn the television off and it will go to sleep and power down as long as the CEC controls are enabled. The down side is Roku 4 still has a lot of bugs that need worked out.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)
0 Kudos
Coach_David
Level 7

I have the latest Roku stick for early 2018 and just cut the cord. Why is the Roku not detecting my TV is off?

If I press the power button on my PC, you tube tv stops streaming, but when I press the power button on my Roku remote only the tv shuts off.

I am more than a little disappointed in my choice in roku at this time.

We use Roku in the living room and need it to work like the rest if our tv devices.

Can and will Roku fix this issue?

I will hold off on any further Roku purcases until this is solved
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

It's not really a "problem" roku doesn't know you shut the TV off, I don't think any of their devices do.  The reason Netflix stop streaming when you turn off the PC is because you turned off the source of the streaming (the PC).  If your TV has a USB, plug the stick power into that USB and when you turn off the TV it will turn off power to the Roku also (well, most TVs do anyway).

You should also contact your ISP and complain regularly about having a cap at all.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

You would have the same issue with an Amazon Fire TV or Apple TV player. It's not Roku specific. Just remember to always press the Home button and your streaming will always stop.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos