Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Provis83
Level 7

Roku 3 can't see 5ghz network?

I am a new Roku user. I purchased and set up a roku 3 today. It sees my 2.4 ghz networks fine but not my 5ghz networks. I have been right next to it with an ipad and phone connect to the 5ghz band and the roku can't see them.

Anyone have any advice? 5ghz is kind of a make or break for me. This is for our kitchen and 2.4 gets killed every time we turn on the microwave.

I am running two linksys wrt-610 with ddwrt on them and havent had any other issues.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
ralphie_suzy
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 can't see 5ghz network?

Silly question; Is your 5GHz SSID set to broadcast?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
0 Kudos
Provis83
Level 7

Yes.

I resolved this by changing the channel. I'm not sure if the roku is particular about channels but I had to change mine to get it to show up on it. All my other devices worked fine.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

^ That usually indicates you had RF interference, probably from one or more of your other devices.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
Provis83
Level 7

"kc8pql" wrote:
^ That usually indicates you had RF interference, probably from one or more of your other devices.

Except, nothing had issues on 5ghz at all. No problems until the roku and everything works after as well. I'm guessing the roku is just very particular about frequency/channel.
0 Kudos
L8Lady
Level 7

I have the same problem, and joined this board to ask if a solution had been found. I googled and was sent here first. My Roku 3 box will only see and communicate with my 2.4GHz connection, while it ignores my 5 Ghz. My iPad and macbook air have no problems connecting with the 5 Ghz, however. Has any light been shed?
0 Kudos
RickRansom
Level 7

"L8Lady" wrote:
I have the same problem, and joined this board to ask if a solution had been found.... Has any light been shed?

Two posts above yours'.
"Provis83" wrote:
Yes.

I resolved this by changing the channel.
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
randerton
Level 7

I have the same issue with a new Roku 3 - I can connect just fine to my 2.4GHz (G) network but it won't recognize my password for my 5.0GHz network.

Roku Support had me change my router channel setting from "Auto" which it was on to channel "36" and I can now connect to my 5GHz network...a bit odd but it's working now...
0 Kudos
drucius
Level 7

I figured I would leave this here as it is the first search link from google for the problem I encountered today when I upgraded a router to DD-WRT. Both the Roku 3 in my house did not show the 5ghz network in the wireless selection screen. I found elsewhere that it is likely a channel issue; I changed to channel 157 as recommended in a DD-WRT forum and that resolved my issue. Now both Roku (or Rokus depending on what you think the plural of Roku is) connect perfectly well to the 5ghz network.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Roku is a proper noun so the plural is "Rokus".
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos