Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Roku 3 can't see 5ghz network?

You gotta log into the router settings with a computer.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@k8t58 wrote:

how do you change the router channel setting?

By default, almost all routers are set to auto-assign the channel. You have to use the web interface for the router to make any changes. Since each brand and model looks different, I can't tell you exactly where to look. But it will be somewhere in the wireless settings. Just make sure the 4 GHz channel you choose isn't within the DFS range, so 48 or below, or 149 or higher. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

What did you change the channel on?  The television?  The router?  I have 5 Roku 3 devices and up until about 2-3 weeks ago, they all recognized my 5G, now none of them do, but my smart TV and all my other devices see it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@bjsbaby wrote:

What did you change the channel on?  The television?  The router?  I have 5 Roku 3 devices and up until about 2-3 weeks ago, they all recognized my 5G, now none of them do, but my smart TV and all my other devices see it.

You change the channel on the router itself. When they are set to auto-select the channel (as they all do by default) they might select a channel that isn't valid for a Roku. If the channel is above 48 or below 149, these are called DFS channels, and (for valid reasons) Roku devices won't see them. So check your router and change the 5 GHz channel to something that Roku supports. Channel 149 is usually a good choice to start with. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

[content edited]

I think even @atc98092  will agree that Ethernet rules.

If you can do it.

Its much much less problematic. Its fast stable and more secure.

There is nothing to configure with a Roku.

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@boogernose wrote:

Wifi gives you brain cancer and headaches in more ways than one.

Ethernet rules!!! if you can.

Its faster and more secure.

Except Roku doesn't have any player with Gigabit Ethernet, so in theory WiFi can be faster. I could never get any of my Roku players to work any faster over wireless, but others have. If you have UHD movie rips, Fast Ethernet isn't fast enough. 

Dan
Level 16

Well my eyeballs and TV couldnt handle that anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Change the channel of what? The Roku? The router? The modem? How do you do it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@RC2 wrote:

Change the channel of what? The Roku? The router? The modem? How do you do it?

Change it on the router. Since every router works differently, I can't say where in your router settings it might be. But it's probably set to auto right now, so look for that under wireless.

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

how do I change the channel, please?

0 Kudos