Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 can't see 5ghz network?

"drucius" wrote:
I figured I would leave this here as it is the first search link from google for the problem I encountered today when I upgraded a router to DD-WRT.  Both the Roku 3 in my house did not show the 5ghz network in the wireless selection screen. I found elsewhere that it is likely a channel issue; I changed to channel 157 as recommended in a DD-WRT forum and that resolved my issue.   Now both Roku (or Rokus depending on what you think the plural of Roku is) connect perfectly well to the 5ghz network.

You, sir, are a gentleman, and a scholar.  I have been having issues with my TCL Roku TV because it couldn't see my 5ghz network.  I changed the 5ghz to channel 157 as you recommended, and immediately my Roku could see the missing SSID.
Highlighted
Level 7

Changed to channel 157 and my Roku 3 (4200X) saw the SSID. But it couldn't connect until I also changed my Synology router from offering just AC on that channel to A + N + AC. 
Highlighted
Level 12

"whitwye" wrote:
Changed to channel 157 and my Roku 3 (4200X) saw the SSID. But it couldn't connect until I also changed my Synology router from offering just AC on that channel to A + N + AC. 

I believe the Roku3 only has N, so yeah.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

We are having this problem with Roku TVs as well. Both Insignia brand, and TCL brand have this issue with the models we've tested. You have to set the wifi network to channel 149 or higher to get the Rokus to see the network. And actually, we have the same issue with an Amazon FireTV stick.

Actually, on futher testing we've learned that these devices don't support the DFS channels in the 5GHz band (ch. 52-144). So if you pick channels higher or lower, it should work.

I know this is an older thread, but this gave me the lead I needed today so I thought I'd add what I learned.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Found this on the web.  Apparently this guy has compiled a list of devices and the 5ghz channels they work properly with.
I hope it helps someone, at least it's worth a try.  It appears roku's work only on limited 5ghz channel ranges 36-52 and 153-165.

https://sites.google.com/a/mikealbano.com/clients/home
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Most Roku devices only see 2.4 ghz ... I just got off Roku support ... I was told that my Premier + only see's 2.4 ghz ... so ... there ya go ... they said 2.4 is sufficient and actually travels through walls better

0 Kudos
Level 20

Actually many Roku devices are dual band. But just supporting 5 GHz doesn't mean they support 802.11AC. I would suggest that anyone having an issue with 5 GHz do two things. First, check this Wiki page and see what sort of wireless support your device has. Second, if your device has 5 GHz support but not .11AC, then check your router/access point to ensure that it the 5 GHz radio isn't set to .11AC only. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yes, i had to change the 5ghz radio channel as well in order for Roku TV and Roku 3.  What channel did you have to use? I had to use channel 36 but don't know what other channels would work, I tried 112, 132, and 136 without any luck connecting to 5ghz.  is there a range of channels or only specific ones compatible with Roku 5ghz?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@JamesD wrote:

Yes, i had to change the 5ghz radio channel as well in order for Roku TV and Roku 3.  What channel did you have to use? I had to use channel 36 but don't know what other channels would work, I tried 112, 132, and 136 without any luck connecting to 5ghz.  is there a range of channels or only specific ones compatible with Roku 5ghz?

Correct. Roku players will not recognize any 5 GHz DFS channel. DFS channels are listed here , Basically, any channel 48 or below, or 149 or higher. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

how do you change the router channel setting?

0 Kudos