Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku 3 Internet Speed

In Roku 3 if you go to network and then about it shows you the speed of Roku. My Roku is connected with ethernet cable and it shows a speed of 80mbps however my internet plan is 200mbps top speed. With WIFI I understand that speeds are gonna be slower but with ethernet shouldn't I get all 200 out of Roku? Or is Roku only capable of certain speed? Is what I'm getting good or no? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku 3 Speed

Every Roku with an Ethernet connection only supports Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps). With network overhead, actual maximum speed is closer to 90 Mbps. What your Roku is reporting is about all it can do. And unless you are trying to watch uncompressed UHD content from a local source, it's more than enough for anything that streams.

WiFi has the potential for higher speeds, especially when using the 5 GHz band. And your Roku 3 is dual band wireless, so it does support 5 GHz. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

even wifi has limits.

you wont need a fraction of that speed.

4k around 25 Mbps.

HD around 6 Mbps.

(Mbps varies depending on channel)

i have 5g,but set on 2g,cause doesn't matter.

i don't do 4k.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I'm also having a significant reduction in my available internet speed because I get 76 Mbps on my 2G network and 280+ Mbps on my 5G network. My Insignia Roku tv and my Roku 3 both show excellent signal strength but my download speed is listed as "Good at 19Mbps".  This slow down, which appears to be on my Roku devices and not my internet/router, is causing my streaming to buffer and frequently pixels my tv screen picture. I find the channel app impacted the most by the speed reduction is Youtube - regular videos that are not HD or 4K.  I have updated firmware and reconnected the network with no improvement. My other devices are not experiencing these slow speeds. Any ideas? Thanks!

0 Kudos