Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mason
Level 7

Roku 2050xd, no remote, app can't see it wired or wireless

Plugged my old Roku 2050XD into my TV. It's been reset so the welcome screen pops up. I downloaded the app to use as a remote and plugged the Roku into my router with an Ethernet cable, but the app still doesn't see the Roku.

I checked the IP of the Roku on my router and attempted to connect manually with the app--that didn't work.

I put the Roku's IP in a DMZ--that didn't work.

I tried multiple cat_5 and cat_6 cables--that didn't work.

Hell, I briefly turned my firewall--also didn't help.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 8

Re: Roku 2050xd, no remote, app can't see it wired or wireless

You need a real remote to get through the welcome/setup screen.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Not certain but that old of a Roku might not support the app. RokuShawn might have accurate info, but it will likely be Monday before he responds. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Mason
Level 7

Noted. Hmmm... Maybe I can borrow a remote from a friend?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Or to Walmart or Target, and get a universal remote that works with Rokus.. under $10.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Mason
Level 7

Hmm, wasn't working the other day, but I was just able to set it up with my logitech harmony. Apologies for wasting everyone's time!
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Yes, Harmony is infrared, which is why it should always work with a Roku that supports infrared.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos