Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
se6601kf
Reel Rookie

Roku 2 won't connect to internet I have tried resetting router and ping disable

Tried everything i can find to try but it still wont work ?

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Re: Roku 2 won't connect to internet I have tried resetting router and ping disable

A Roku 2 was made back in 2011. Your better off buying a new one. It’s no longer supported 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 2 won't connect to internet I have tried resetting router and ping disable

@se6601kf 

The model 2720 Roku 2 was introduced in 2013 and is still officially supported by Roku, but is a very slow, sluggish device compared to the Roku devices of today. While Roku still supports the device, many apps do not. It is a dual band device and should work on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks.

The model 4210 Roku 2 from 2015 is also still supported, and has support from all major apps. Internally, it is identical to a Roku 3. It is also dual band, and should connect to either band.

There were several earlier devices to which @AeroSpaceTech referred, dating to 2011, that included "Roku 2" in the name, including Roku 2 HD, Roku 2 XD, and Roku 2 XS. All of those are no longer supported by Roku, and do not work with many apps. They were all 2.4 GHz only devices, and may encounter some issues with some ISP-supplied wireless routers.

Which device do you have? The model number will help. Settings > System > About

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  CF1A575B-D417-456B-B648-B8653C4B0738.jpeg

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@AeroSpaceTech 

Okay. It leaves out a lot of information. If you used just that, you wouldn't know there's a difference in the 2013 Roku 2 (model 2720) and the 2015 Roku 2 (model 4210). Or that the Premiere from 2016 is a scaled down Ultra, while the Premiere from 2018 is a lesser device, essentially a souped up Express.

That is a very incomplete guide. Am I missing something really obvious?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

Roku 2 is listed in 2011. We do not what model it is exactly 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@AeroSpaceTech 

I stand by what I wrote.

Question: If you call the Roku 2 HD a Roku 2, why wouldn't you call the Roku 2 HD a Roku HD?

Don't answer. It's a trap.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
atc98092

@AeroSpaceTech wrote:

Roku 2 is listed in 2011. We do not what model it is exactly 

There are 5 different models of Roku 2, if you include all the letter suffixes they've used. The date released ranges from July 2011 to April 2015. When someone posts a question about a Roku 2, my first question is to ask for the model number. We simply can't provide any accurate assistance without knowing that. The same applies to other Roku players, as there's more than one version of the Roku 3, Express, Premiere and Ultra as well.

Roku has a bad habit of reusing model names on completely different hardware, and it makes offering assistance difficult at times. The best place to see most of the differences in models is this wiki site. But even it lacks some information, so additional searching might be required.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

@atc98092  I totally agree. More information is needed. But a 10 year old device isn’t worth troubleshooting. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

But the most recent version of the Roku 2 (model 4210) is only seven years old, and actually still a capable player. The older players I would agree are not worth the effort. For a very reasonable price the Express 4K+ is the replacement I recommend to all users of older players. I don't recommend the basic Express or the Premiere, mostly because they are single band WiFi. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos