Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kealohinoeau
Level 7

Roku 2 XS not connecting to wireless

I have a Roku 2 XS which suddenly, and inexplicably, stopped connecting to my WiFi network --  I havenʻt made any changes to any hardware or component in my network.  When I tried to set up the wireless network connection, I kept getting error message 014 even though Roku found & listed my network router.  Looking through the many troubleshooting options, I tried:
1)  resetting the Roku and the router, unplugged each from power source then powered up again.
2)  did a factory reset to the Roku
3)  double-checked the network password
4)  moved the Roku closer to the router; that didnʻt work even when 3 feet away.
5)  connected the Roku to router with ethernet -- that works just fine
6)  checked my router settings on (not on 5G), DNS settings, tried changing router channel settings (11)
7)  checked for firmware updates to router and Roku
8-)  found & executed suggestions involving secret menu (disabling pings, etc.)
All steps listed above were performed multiple times and in multiple sequences.  Nothingʻs worked.  Although Roku connects through ethernet connection, this is not practical as the router (in office) cannot be moved close enough to connect Roku to TV (in living room).
Iʻm about to give up, ditch this Roku, and switch to Amazon Fire.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Roku 2 XS not connecting to wireless

My suggestion is to just get either a new Roku product or like you said, an Amazon fire.

The Roku XS is a very old model, I'm talking 8 years old, and it's very possible the wifi card went bad in it.. For the same price the XS cost new, you could a much faster, newer Roku stick or stick+.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
kealohinoeau
Level 7

Thanks, jeffrok.  Good to know that I can stop wasting my time with troubleshooting!
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

One last thing to consider trying is to rename your network ssid. I'd hate to see you toss a working, albeit old, device. The reason I suggest this is that the roku's radio is working if it shows available networks. If it does connect (fingers crossed) you could put your ssid back to normal and try connecting to that anew.
I upgraded from a 2X to a 3 and they are much better. I stayed away from newer than the 3 because I use the USB port for movie drive.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
kealohinoeau
Level 7

Thank you, dgrace, for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, changing the SSID didnʻt work either.  So I guess Iʻll be ordering a new Firestick or Roku 3 soon.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"kealohinoeau" wrote:
Thank you, dgrace, for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, changing the SSID didnʻt work either.  So I guess Iʻll be ordering a new Firestick or Roku 3 soon.

Keep in mind that Roku 3s are no longer made, so finding a "new" one will be difficult.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

I'm not saying that you should also get a 3, just that I have two for the usb capabilities. Look at the various models for the connection type and features you need.
If you end up recycling your old unit you may want to pull the remote batteries and jeep it for a spare. Some newer units use the IR remotes.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos