Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LoneWolf3574
Level 7

Roku 2 Won't Connect To Wireless Network

I have a Roku 2 (Model 2720X) and after being on hiatus for a couple of months (life events + work events = no time) I turned on my TV and Roku (I turn power vampires off if I know I won't be using them for a while).  At this point I found that my Roku wouldn't connect to my wireless network regardless of how many times I correctly entered the password in a half-hour.  Scouring many forum entries, most relevant posts being 5-8 years old, I tried all suggestions from disabling the router firewall to unlinking and resetting the Roku with none working.  In desperation, I factory reset my router (Asus RT-AC3200) and set the wireless security to OPEN and I was finally able to connect.  After going through the entire rigmarole of letting it update and once again linking it, then waiting for all my channels to download again, I re-enabled my security only to have it fail to connect.  Before someone suggests LAN, this unit is wireless only.

Right now I see only two options, 1 - some little thing in my Roku 2 is the problem or 2 - I take it to a range for target practice.

Roku 2 - Model 2720X
Router - Asus RT-AC3200
TV - Samsung LN-T3732H
Connection - HDMI

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Roku 2 Won't Connect To Wireless Network

Make sure that your network name doesn't have any special characters, stick with letters and numbers only. Once connected I like going into router settings and reserving the given IP by the devices MAC address. You should be able to decipher which device is your roku, or it may be on a sticker on it. You may want to also refresh the dhcp connected devices in your router.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
LoneWolf3574
Level 7

Nothing has changed about my router name or password, I was able to connect A couple of months ago with no problems.
I always assign IP addresses to devices connected to my network as a matter of security.
My router DHCP only assigns addresses with a 24 hour limit on them after which they must reconnect to obtain their assigned IP again.
0 Kudos
APirate
Level 7

Problem Solved!

I had an existing roku and it worked well.  I upgraded my router to an ASUS RT-AC3200 and could not for the life of me get the roku to connect to it.  But it would connect just fine to the old router.  I played with all the obvious settings, security, bandwidth, bandtypes, SSID and password names, antivirus, VPN settings, everything but nothing worked.  Did the resets and restarts nothing.  Compared the settings of one router to the other and they were identical.  So i just started tinkering and i finally got it to work by disabling the Protected Management Frames setting on the wireless network.  Not sure how common this setting is on routers but if it exists on yours and the roku isn't working give it a whirl, it worked for me!
0 Kudos