Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tigerbalm78
Level 7

Roku 2 RF bursts

Hi, just wondering if anyone can tell me how to disable my Roku 2 from sending out wifi/RF bursts every 2 minutes? I have timed it with an RF meter. I do not want any wifi or RF signal emanating from the Roku, it is wired via ethernet. I have disabled the device connect and network pings, yet it still sends out wifi bursts every 2 minutes. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku 2 RF bursts

Depending on which Roku 2 you have (there's three different models with the same name), it might be using Wi Fi for the remote. So you can't disable it and still use the remote. Of course you could use a Roku app to control it, but then you're just substituting one wireless device for another. 
There's a secret Wi Fi menu on the Roku, but I can't say if the wireless can be disabled there. I believe that the power level can be adjusted, so that might help. Do a web search for Roku hidden menus and you'll find the button combination to access them.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tigerbalm78
Level 7

Thanks. I did access that (secret) menu and turned it on low, obviously didn't stop the 2 min. wifi bursts. I will be switching to laptop linked to tv, so I control the rf signals. Less convenient because no remote, but small price to pay.
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

Nothing can protect you from your own paranoia.
0 Kudos
tigerbalm78
Level 7

Well, a post about RF wouldn't be complete without an ignorant post from a disinformation agent/troll. Being a jerk cannot protect you from the truth.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

You need to open the case and unsolder the antennas.  Even then, it won't be completely "off".
0 Kudos
tigerbalm78
Level 7

Yeah, but it will be off when I unplug it and don't use it anymore.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

You still never said which Roku 2. Model number will help determine if it is something that can be stopped.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
tigerbalm78
Level 7

Models 4210X and 4210X2
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

The 4210 is a WiFi Direct model, using WiFi to connect to a remote. They are essentially a Roku 3 device with WiFi Direct capability, even though it came with an IR remote in the box. It's compatible with a Roku 3 remote.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos