Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lethedethius
Level 7

Roku 2 Broke?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct area-if not I apologize. My roku 2 is flat out not working, I have pressed reset but nothing. It gets to the roku load screen but after that it goes black, then the HDMI doesn't receive any signal (my tv goes blue saying no signal)

Some backstory if it helps:

I recently moved into a new home, no internet so I used my old att modem/router to create a wlan and watch plex-never had issues, Once comcast xfinity was installed I of course put the roku's on it's wlan and started having issues- BOTH roku's were freezing up and cutting out constantly-I'm really not sure what could cause that but I was having other issues with the surfboard so I ordered my own surfboard off of amazon and PRESTO both ROKU's work again, flawless infact. This was two days ago, but now the Roku2 is hosed. Any ideas?

Any ideas if the Xfinity surfboard could cause that? Pretty insane considering Roku having to fight comcast recently for HBO and Showtime (Guys-seriously? Showtime sucks.... should've left that off the roku lol-I haven't found anything worth watching on that junk show...)

A buddy of mine did setup an old linux computer that hosted a fake wlan... it caused this guys laptop to freeze whenever he would connect, it was exploiting a port and windows xp fault with a null packet-could the xfinity modem be doing something similar? The modem is a technicolor I believe... If you want to know the modem model # I can get it... I'd be happy to give y'all a reason to sue the pants off of comcast as long as you send me $30 for all the problems I had with this stupid surfboard Smiley Tongue
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku 2 Broke?

Is the Roku 2 hooked up to the same TV it used to be?

Reason I ask is, you may have had it connected to a 1080p TV before, and now it's hooked up to a room 720p only TV.. One thing you can try is preforming a factory reset on it, and see if you can configure again.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Lethedethius" wrote:
...Any ideas if the Xfinity surfboard could cause that? Pretty insane considering Roku having to fight comcast recently for HBO and Showtime (Guys-seriously? Showtime sucks.... should've left that off the roku lol-I haven't found anything worth watching on that junk show...)

A buddy of mine did setup an old linux computer that hosted a fake wlan... it caused this guys laptop to freeze whenever he would connect, it was exploiting a port and windows xp fault with a null packet-could the xfinity modem be doing something similar? The modem is a technicolor I believe... If you want to know the modem model # I can get it... I'd be happy to give y'all a reason to sue the pants off of comcast as long as you send me $30 for all the problems I had with this stupid surfboard Smiley Tongue

I have Comcast. I own a Surfboard modem. Now, I'm not using a Roku 2, but a Roku 3. However, it works just fine. My son's Roku 2 XS has worked on my setup, too. And, my Roku Streaming Stick works fine.

Bottom line, I'm not having any issues using Comcast Internet service and a Surfboard modem. While there could be an issue with a particular piece of equipment, it's not Comcast in general. Quit thinking lawsuit and focus on fixing the issue.

It could be your Roku. If you want to try a manual (using the switch on the back) factory reset, be sure you hold the button down for no less than 30 seconds.

I assume it's the precious Roku 2 (model 2720), which means you can only connect wirelessly; the new Roku 2 has a LAN port. That makes it difficult to troubleshoot Roku issues from wireless issues. But, if other devices connect, that leans away from wireless issues.

After the full factory reset (30 seconds, at least), report back and let us know if that works, or if there are new symptoms.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Lethedethius
Level 7

Basil, not to get confrontational here but you didn't read my post or you read it with extreme bias. Either is fine. Obviously a roku won't break because of INTERNET, no matter the provider connection is connection. That's why I mentioned the technicolor surfboard. I did a reset, I did multiple resets. While using the provided technicolor modem I did reset after reset after reset, entering in the absurdly long WAN encryption key multiple times. I am not thinking lawsuit, I was thinking roku sue comcast but that was more of a joke considering the Research involved in collecting evidence to conclude that comcast did this with the intention of isolating roku ports and causing harm to their equipment. I appreciate you responding but seriously... you gotta really READ the post and think about what's being posted rather than disregard it as a rant.

I own a ROKU 2 and a ROKU 3, while using the technicolor surfboard PROVIDED by comcast both started malfunctioning-and freezing up, as soon as I switched to a Motorola surfboard and cisco router they both operated fine for roughly 2 days, then the roku 2 just malfunctioned and has ceased functioning since. Please check your modem to see if you're using a Technicolor surfboard-if you're not then you really can't help resolve this situation or add insight to it.

As far as comcast I've taken the modem back today, which they said is an antique and I shouldn't of received it as a new customer-they also refunded me for my first month of service which will cover the cost of the Roku 2 so no gripe there. I feel that the comcast staff did their part as customer service-above and beyond in fact. But I would like to warn others about this-seek insight and find a resolution into it. Could me resetting the roku so many times over the course of a few days (probably 10 times on the Roku 2 alone) have caused curruption in it's firmware? Is there anyway to flash the firmware?

Again I'm not trying to be confrontational but it does get me a little bit hyped when people don't fully read the post that I wrote and just make assumptions-I've been working with Windows, Linux & Unix for a number of years. I am pretty knowledgeable in the areas of IT and I can assure you that this device did cause something in the Roku devices, otherwise how do you explain both of them malfunctioning at the same time, and then working at the same time once I replaced the comcast surfboard with a privately owned one? And it's a fact that a number of devices in the computing world can encounter errors if another device speaks to it in a false manner. Read this:
http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to ... a-0147919/

This is the tool my friend and I used on his notebook that caused a windows xp laptop to encounter the blue screen of death and crash resulting in a memory dump.
0 Kudos
Lethedethius
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Is the Roku 2 hooked up to the same TV it used to be?

Reason I ask is, you may have had it connected to a 1080p TV before, and now it's hooked up to a room 720p only TV.. One thing you can try is preforming a factory reset on it, and see if you can configure again.

Jeff, same TV. I've actually moved the device a number of times and it's never encountered that issue, I had it hooked up to my daughters old school TV for a year straight... which was a 10 inch CRT style tv that I got for free-it worked flawlessly... before that it was connected to my Polaroid 1080 27" tv without any issues also. I don't believe that would've been the issue. This doesn't seem to be a video feed issue-it is seemingly a firmware problem. Thanks for the input though!
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Hmm.. Maybe it's a firmware thing, like you said.. Shawn here may be able to help you, if Roku CS has failed to.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Another thing it MIGHT be is, and I could be totally wrong, but you might want to try a new power adapter.. The Roku 2 might have a failing adapter that gets it to a certain point in the boot, and then fails..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos