Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gillfred_

Restart Roku to connect to Internet

Recently, my Roku TV started having internet issues where every time I turn on the TV, it fails to connect to the internet.  When I go to settings to manually reconnect to my wifi, Roku just spins on trying to make the wireless connection, fails, and tells me to check a series of things related to my internet (is my password correct, have I restarted my router, etc.).  Since I know this information is all fine, it tells me the only other option is to restart the Roku, which I do, and then the internet works fine.  But this is EVERY TIME I use the TV, I have to manually go into internet settings, try to connect, and restart the Roku at which point it connects automatically. It’s a pretty ridiculous process to be able to use the TV, is there any fix to this?

12 REPLIES 12
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Restart Roku to connect to Internet

Do you have your Roku TV set to "Fast start"?  This should maintain wifi connections between uses.

1. Press the Home button on your Roku TV remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System, followed by Power.
  4. Select Fast TV Start.
  5. Highlight Enable 'Fast TV Start', and check the box to enable it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Dbo
Reel Rookie

I have the exact same problem with my new streambar pro. Did you find a permanent solution? I’m sick of restarting the Roku every time. 

Fash1

Me too!! I have a Roku Ultra. I,ve never had this problem. All my other streaming devices work great. Except Roku. I have to restart it ever… single.. time I turn on the tv.  It’s gotten really old.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Fash1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Sparkle15
Reel Rookie

I also have to restart my roku express every night so It will connect to internet. Despite my network connections always showing excellent strength it will not actually connect without restarting. Every. Single. Day. Model 3900X - Roku Express.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Sparkle15 

Are you powering your Roku by the included power adapter (preferred)? Or are you plugging into a USB port on the TV?

Also, does your Roku device have a Power setting on the menu system? Probably Settings > Power or something along that line? Some Roku devices have that, and turning off low power mode can resolve issues with resuming from a low power/sleep mode.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Sparkle15
Reel Rookie

@DBDukes powered by power adapter. Don't have a power setting. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Sparkle15 

Those common causes being ruled out, this may take some thinking. You may find others suggesting that your device, released in 2017, is too old. I disagree. And while it's true that the current lineup of devices are much better than five-year old technology, you should still be able to get good use out of that device.

One network issue that does plague some Roku Express models (even the current model 3930) is that some ISPs have changed the 2.4 GHz setting from 802.11 b/g/n to g/n. However, this most commonly shows itself as a refusal to connect, and restarting the device doesn't make a difference.

While I don't think this is the problem, it is possible. It can be ruled out easy enough. Are your router's 2.4 GHz settings set to b/g/n? If so, then this isn't the problem. If it is set to a different setting (most commonly, ISPs are changing to g/n settings) then try changing it back to b/g/n and see if that resolves it.

I don't hold out much hope for that, but it should be ruled out as a cause, just to be thorough.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Bdkshsueh

Same exact problem on mine, unwatchable. Came looking for a solution haven’t yet found one. These little Roku players seem to be junk.

0 Kudos