Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Registering Roku TV with my University WiFi

Jump to solution

I just purchased a Roku TV and am trying to set up the wireless internet. I live on campus and must register my Roku TV to my university account before it will let me connect it to the WiFi. To do this it is asking for a Device ID that it describes as "consists of 6 alphanumeric number pairs separated by colons such as AA:BB:CC:11:22:33". I went to settings->system->about and I see a Device ID listed but it is not in the right format with the colons and everything. I tried putting this Device ID into the format with the colons after every pair but it did not work. I also tried the serial number written in the same format and they both show up as an invalid Device ID when I try to submit them on my university's website. Does anyone know how I can find the correct Device ID so I can register my Roku TV with my university to access the wireless internet?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Registering Roku TV with my University WiFi

Jump to solution

Solved! 

This Reddit thread asked my same question and the answer is "To get the wifi mac address, go to network setup for wireless and let it do a scan. When the scan completes, navigate to the "scan again to see all networks" or "private network" options and the right hand pane will show you your WiFi mac address." This works for me since my Roku TV has never been connected to the WiFi before so it does not display a MAC address when looking at the system setting. 

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I should mention as well that when I go settings->network the only option I see is to connect and active, I do not see any ID or numbers listed since the Roku TV is not connected to the internet yet. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

You're looking for a MAC address.  It should show up under Settings->System->About.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

unnamed-1.jpgHere's a picture of what I see when I go Settings->System->About. I've tried the serial number and device ID, but no MAC address is showing up. I blacked out them out for security. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Solved! 

This Reddit thread asked my same question and the answer is "To get the wifi mac address, go to network setup for wireless and let it do a scan. When the scan completes, navigate to the "scan again to see all networks" or "private network" options and the right hand pane will show you your WiFi mac address." This works for me since my Roku TV has never been connected to the WiFi before so it does not display a MAC address when looking at the system setting. 

Thanks for the help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Thanks for giving the solution here.  It looks like TVs are different than stand-alone devices.

0 Kudos