Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kkendall
Level 8

Reduce bandwidth use by setting lower res

Jump to solution

Even though I have hi- res TV's, can I lower the bandwidth usage by going into the settings and switch to 720p?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kkendall
Level 8

Re: Reduce bandwidth use by setting lower res

Jump to solution

The answer is "no". Tested for 2 days.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kkendall
Level 8

Jump to solution

The answer is "no". Tested for 2 days.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Most online providers use adaptive streaming, so they send what your Internet speed can handle. They aren't concerned with your configured resolution. Now some streaming sites offer a setting within the channel/app to restrict the bandwidth used. Disney+ just added it recently. YouTube allows you to set a resolution. Not certain about any others, but I've heard there are some.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Kkendall
Level 8

Jump to solution

I've already made the change in Netflix and Disney+ - The issue I have is Hulu live streaming. When viewing on a computer, the Settings (gear icon) allows me to select quality to "Data Saver" - but when viewing through Roku, that option doesn't exist.

So Hulu supports it, but that option doesn't exist in Roku. It's Roku's implementation.

It needs to be there for those living with ISP data caps.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Kkendall wrote:

I've already made the change in Netflix and Disney+ - The issue I have is Hulu live streaming. When viewing on a computer, the Settings (gear icon) allows me to select quality to "Data Saver" - but when viewing through Roku, that option doesn't exist.

So Hulu supports it, but that option doesn't exist in Roku. It's Roku's implementation.

It's not Roku's implementation. Hulu is solely responsible for the functionality of their channel. Roku doesn't develop or support any of the channels, other than the two that they themselves offer (The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player). So Hulu needs to add that functionality to their channel on Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.