Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RockerG
Reel Rookie

Re: Excellent wifi but no internet connection

I have a Roku TV. Shows excellent signal 2.4 & 5.1. Worked fine for 6 months.I’ve done everything Roku  says to do for a week now, with no success. Tried everything mentioned here. No success.

Hooked up a Firestick that I had from a non-Roku TV. Everything works fine with Firestick. 
Any thoughts on why a Roku TV doesn’t work with Roku says no signal but works perfect and fast with  Firestick? 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
robbiestewart89
Streaming Star

Make sure that you're entering the password to your wi-fi network correctly i.e. capital or small letters, special characters, etc. I've seen routers that will reject a device connection request simply because the access password wasn't entered in the correct format. If you can't get it to work via wireless and your Roku TV has an Ethernet plug in on the back, you may have to temporary run an Ethernet cord from your router to your TV and get your TV on the Internet that way. If you can get it to work that way, perform a software update immediately. You may have to do this procedure several times to get all of the updates available. Roku changed quite a few things with wi-fi connectivity in version 10 of their operating system.

Robbie Stewart
0 Kudos
robbiestewart89
Streaming Star

Check your network access password and make sure that you've entered it correctly i.e. capital letters, small letters, special characters, etc. I've seen some routers that will reject a device connection request simple because the access password wasn't entered or phrased correctly, especially in an era of wireless protected access 2 pre shared keys (WPA2-PSK) . If you can't get it to connect via wi-fi and your Roku TV happens to have an Ethernet plug in on back, you may have to temporary run an Ethernet cable from your router to your TV and connect it to the Internet that way instead. If you can get it connected to the Internet that way, then perform a software update immediately. You may have to run this procedure several times to get all of the updates that are available. Roku has also made several changes with how wi-fi connectivity works in version 10 of their operating system.

Robbie Stewart
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Roku's occasionally lose their wifi connections, at least some of mine do.

Here's what has worked for me to re-establish my net connection. I usually have to do this on my most used Roku, a Streaming Stick+, several times a month.

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
chloefletcher42
Reel Rookie

Unpluggig doesn't work, can't factory reset again because it won't get past the wifi password screen 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @chloefletcher42

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? What's the model number of your Roku device? This can be found in the Settings menu by navigating Settings > System > About

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Hintzcess

Has there been a fix for this?  Currently struggling with the same issue - have tried restarting, updating software, restarting router - even changed internet service providers - no luck.

We have a Roku TV Element C503X.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hey @Hintzcess

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Do you receive an error code or message? Please let us know as well who your internet service provider is. 

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos