Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: ROKU won't connect to WIFI error 014.40. Password is entered correctly.

Jump to solution

After many hours of frustration with this problem (and TWO Express units unable to connect to my network after the November update is applied), I believe I have finally fixed this. (Since ROKU apparently hasn't even bothered to acknowledge the issue.

It's NOT your router. It's not your network. It's the Express stick, the SE Box (which uses the Express firmware), and possibly the EXPRESS + stick as well. 

Symptoms: It connects fine initially to set up. After the update installs and unit restarts, it no longer connects to your network (even though it may still SEE it.)

Resolution: (And dont ask my exactly why this works, but:

Go to HOME> Setttings> System>Advanced System Settings>Device Connect>and select DISABLE DEVICE CONNECT.

Restart the unit. It may even restart on its own after about 20 seconds. After the restart, it should automatically connect to your network.

To test this after it does, PULL THE POWER to your unit and let it sit about 5 minutes. Then power it up again, and it should still be fine.

Hope this works for you as well. If it does, you're welcome. Smiley Happy

Shame on ROKU.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I did a hard reset on my Roku express and it still will not recognize my password to even do the initial set up. I have no special characters in my password. I should not have to go to the hassle of resetting my password on all of my devices to cater to the whim of one device. The stupid thing is brand new. Literally like 2 weeks. Not impressed Roku, not impressed.

Forgot to add - it will not even connect to a mobile hotspot with no password. So clearly the password is not the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@e5278 

Thanks for the note.

I have passed along the information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for responding. I've already chatted with customer support. Their response, after trying all kinds of stuff was "must be a hardware issue. Return it and get a new one". I have no idea whether Best Buy will exchange this without making me purchase a new one out of pocket.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@e5278 

Thanks for the note.

There is no need to worry, we will be taking care of you by assisting with the replacement of your device under warranty.

If you have any additional concerns or questions, please feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have 2 Roku Premiers and both have been knocked offline at the same time.  They can see the network but will not connect and give the following errors 014.40 & 014.30.  I have changed the network security from WPA2 to WPA-PSK TKIP with no change.  By the way we can watch Hulu Live from our iPads on this same network with no issues.  These Premiers have been working fine for almost a year until last week.

I have rebooted EVERYTHING multiple times!!  Please fix these issues, replace the units else they go in the trash!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

See this post, and look for the word *RESOLUTION in the subject line to see a possible fix for you:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-Express-won-t-connect-to-netwo...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the RESOLUTION link. Tried everything and still didn't work.

I have a Asus AC86u router and noticed this morning a couple other devices on the 2.4ghz channel could not connect. A little research shows this router has a history of this issue & not so great support.

So I replaced the Asus router with a Linksys MR9000 and everything seems to be working fine!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I just bought a new 2020 Roku Express, and even fresh out of the box, it refuses to accept the password for my WiFi network.  My neighbour uses my network when the building's WiFi is down, which is several times a day, everyday.  She logs into my network with the same password that the Roku Express is refusing to accept.  She is logging in from a different aparmtent, but the Roku Express which is only six feet from the router, won't connect.  I log my phone into the router using the password without any problem.  Only the Roku Express refuses to accept it.  I have done a factory reset, even though the Express is a brand new device, all the connections are good, the passoword is spelled correctly and all the letters are being entered in the correct upper and lower case.  This is the second Roku device which has refused to connect to my network.  I had a stick, and it too refused to connect, when everything else connected without any problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Saracen55 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing regarding getting your device connected to your wireless network.

Does your password include any special characters? We would recommend avoiding using passwords with special characters. Have you tried changing your password or security settings to see if your device is able to connect after? We would also recommend trying to use an alternate networks, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can connect and set up your device.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please let us know what specific brand and model of wireless router are you using. We will continue to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos