Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: ROKU won't connect to WIFI error 014.40. Password is entered correctly.

Jump to solution

What an amazing surprise; "Check your password"  Exactly the same advice, practically word-for-word which I received two years ago when the Roku Stick I bought would not connect to the WiFi network I had then. Diffferent network, different device, same useless "help".

No, it doess not contain any special characters.  I already knew that Roku can't handle strong, secure passwords, only weak, easy to break, alpha-numeric ones; so I deliberately created a less than secure, 16 character password using just upper/lower case letters, and numbers; no special characters of any kind. 

My building has free, public WiFi with eight distinct nodes, each of which requires a separate log-in.  The Roku will not connect to any of the nodes, and they use even weaker, less secure, 9 character, all lowercase letter passwords.  The Roku Stick, which I owned back in 2018, would not connect to any of these networks and nodes either; so it is not a problem with the individual unit.  I bought the Express upon the reccomendation of a Roku rep.  Throwing good money after bad, on the advice of a "Pro???" 

Specific brand?   Hmmm...let me think.  Let's see, this is a Roku forum, dealing with Roku products, so I'll bet you I wouldln't be posting here unless the brand was Roku.  I'm also pretty sure I stated that the model is an Express.  Probably would not have called it that, if it were really a different model like an Ultra or a Streaming Stick, or a Premiere.

I hope my sarcasm isn't so subtle that it gets missed.  It comes from seeing the same near verbatim response to every single post in this forum.  Not once, has the "advice" proved useful, and yet, each post continues to receive the same reply; trying to place the blame on each poster's password.  You need to find new material.  As I mentioned, I had the same problem with a Streaming Stick.  That was back in 2018 , and guess what the response to the post about that problem was..."Check your password".  Two years later, and still getting the same useless "help".  In fact, it was so helpful that I threw the Roku Stick out, and went back to cable.  Time to throw another Roku in the trash, but this time buy an Amazon Fire TV stick so I can actually watch TV instead of just endlessly typing in passwords.

Thanks ever so much.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Saracen55 

Thanks for the note.

I have passed along your concerns to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Danny the solution you keep posting isn’t helping.  Is there anything else that may fix this connectivity issue.  It seems to be with roku not internet or internet provider 

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

After many hours of frustration with this problem (and TWO Express units unable to connect to my network after the November update is applied), I believe I have finally fixed this. (Since ROKU apparently hasn't even bothered to acknowledge the issue.

It's NOT your router. It's not your network. It's the Express stick, the SE Box (which uses the Express firmware), and possibly the EXPRESS + stick as well. 

Symptoms: It connects fine initially to set up. After the update installs and unit restarts, it no longer connects to your network (even though it may still SEE it.)

Resolution: (And dont ask my exactly why this works, but:

Go to HOME> Setttings> System>Advanced System Settings>Device Connect>and select DISABLE DEVICE CONNECT.

Restart the unit. It may even restart on its own after about 20 seconds. After the restart, it should automatically connect to your network.

To test this after it does, PULL THE POWER to your unit and let it sit about 5 minutes. Then power it up again, and it should still be fine.

Hope this works for you as well. If it does, you're welcome. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Express will Not Connect to Wifi after Software Update error code 14.40

Jump to solution

Help... I bought a new roku stick. Trying to connect to my spectrum account and nothing. Keep getting error 14.40 Please help..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hello,

I posted yesterday that this solution worked for me. Thanks.

Unfortunately, it does not stick. When I reactivate Roku I have to complete the procedure each time. However your solution means that my Roku Express is workable. 

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue.  All other devices throughout the house are connected.  This one will not. There are no special characters in my password either.  This is a newly purchased Roku.  It’s been working for the last two weeks but now nothing.  HELP!!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, since I posted about 2 weeks ago, my Roku express has stopped connecting for the last several days and I am now getting error 014.50. No matter how many times I activate "device disconnect" in system settings, I cannot connect. Will probably have to do a return at this stage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Westie1,

Before returning, try changing your password on your router.  Once changed and saved then try connecting Roku.  It worked for me last night when I was finally ready to give up.  Hope this works for you also! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@caricell wrote:

After many hours of frustration with this problem (and TWO Express units unable to connect to my network after the November update is applied), I believe I have finally fixed this. (Since ROKU apparently hasn't even bothered to acknowledge the issue.

It's NOT your router. It's not your network. It's the Express stick, the SE Box (which uses the Express firmware), and possibly the EXPRESS + stick as well. 

Symptoms: It connects fine initially to set up. After the update installs and unit restarts, it no longer connects to your network (even though it may still SEE it.)

Resolution: (And dont ask my exactly why this works, but:

Go to HOME> Setttings> System>Advanced System Settings>Device Connect>and select DISABLE DEVICE CONNECT.

Restart the unit. It may even restart on its own after about 20 seconds. After the restart, it should automatically connect to your network.

To test this after it does, PULL THE POWER to your unit and let it sit about 5 minutes. Then power it up again, and it should still be fine.

Hope this works for you as well. If it does, you're welcome. Smiley Happy

Shame on ROKU.

This worked!

Wow. Can't believe this was the fix. Every post from Roku is unacceptable. Thanks Caricell. 

0 Kudos