Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScannAr
Level 7

ROKU can no longer see NAS (since new router)

I have had a Roku for several years and have always used a NAS (Buffalo Linkstation) on my network to stream some TV/Films using Roku Media Player.  2 weeks ago I got a new internet router and suddenly Roku Media Player cannot see my NAS.  They are on the same network (both wired) and my laptop can access the NAS over the network just fine.  Nothing has changed except the new router.  Does anyone know if I need to change some port settings in the router? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: ROKU can no longer see NAS (since new router)

Those issues can always be puzzling. With the new router, have you rebooted the Roku since the change? It's possible your new router is assigning IP addresses in a different range than the old one, or it's assigned the same IP address to something that the Roku already had from the previous router. Best way to ensure everything is clean is to power down every device connected to the network, reboot the router, then bring your devices back up after the router has finished booting. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 10

It may be an issue with the SMB protocol used to access the server. The Roku may only support SMB 1, and the router may be set to only use SMB 2. SMB 2 and the latest SMB 3 are more secure and 'faster', but not all devices support it.

ScannAr
Level 7

Thank you for the replies.  I have managed a work-around by disconnecting the NAS from the router and placing it on the "Roku side" of the network.  I have an ethernet switch attached to the router which then runs directly to my Roku.  When the NAS is attached to this switch then the Roku can see it fine.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Roku doesn't use SMB to access a NAS. DLNA is the only way it can see networked media servers. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

@ScannAr wrote:

Thank you for the replies.  I have managed a work-around by disconnecting the NAS from the router and placing it on the "Roku side" of the network.  I have an ethernet switch attached to the router which then runs directly to my Roku.  When the NAS is attached to this switch then the Roku can see it fine.  

That indicates something on the router was blocking network access to the NAS. Not sure how or why, but moving the NAS onto the switch completely removes the router from the equation. Nice troubleshooting. 

Dan
0 Kudos