Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barb47
Streaming Star

Re: ROKU WORKED FINE BEFORE, NOW NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET,

Jump to solution

I have done all that 10 times and it doesn't work.  LOL...I just posted to someone that it has been working for 2 weeks.  Now, it just stopped working again.  spin and spin.  There are hundreds of people who have this issue.  Why?

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

LOL...it just stopped working

0 Kudos
Amyhayford

Roku Express suddenly won't connect to wireless network

Jump to solution

I own two Roku Express devices, one purchased about a year ago, the other purchased less than 6 months ago.  Out of nowhere, neither of them would connect to my wireless network last night.  I restarted both devices, I restarted my router, I did a factory reset on the newer device and still nothing.  

I checked the 2.4GHz/5GHz settings on the router.  Both lights are lit up and flashing intermittently.  Nothing has changed with the router (the router is also less than 6 months old), nothing has changed with my internet service, literally nothing has changed except the fact that neither device can connect now. 

Is there anyway to speak with a human at Roku?  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express suddenly won't connect to wireless network

Jump to solution

You didnt mention your Roku's model #s or firmware version(s):  Settings/System/About.

However, based on the fact that they are Express models purchased 5+ months ago, they likely only support 2.4Ghz.

Because they are Express models, they are ineligible for Agent-Assisted support.

Its possible your ISP changed your modem/router/gateway's (brand/model unknown) configuration/updated its firmware - go into its configuration pages and verify 2.4Ghz is enabled, and configure it for channel 1, 6, or 11, disable any "B" mode compatibility, and set the channel width to 20Mhz.

Additionally, the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs should be different/separate (they can have the same password) - if they arent, change them so they are.  

Restart all devices after making any changes, and see if the Expresses connect.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Barb47 @Amyhayford 

Appreciate the response.

Have you tried connecting your Roku to a mobile hotspot? Does it do the same thing? Please also provide us the following information for further investigation:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi, I did this about 6 weeks ago with Danny who works for ROKU.  The only thing he didn't ask was Tracker ID..  Several people sent the information to him.  I'm not trying to be difficult, but it seems as though everyone is  sending stuff and we hear nothing.   I will do it one more time, tomorrow and that's it.  If it were just me, I could understand, but take a look at the forum...it is loaded with your customers that have the same issue.

Barb 

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Model 3810X

Sn.  YH00EC878251
Device ID. 21511E878251
Software  10.0.0. Build 4209-50

I restarted Router, ROKU, nothing
Then it couldn't connect to wifi  2x
Then it connected to wifi and internet...just spins
Strength= good

Dit the tracker 3 times
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Barb47 Your Roku has a dual band WiFi radio, so it works on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. First see if your router is using different SSIDs for the two radios. If not, I suggest doing so, so you can choose which band you are using. 

Next, for the 5 GHz radio, check the channel number and width. The channel number should be 49 or below, or 148 or higher. Any other channel might not be supported by your Roku. The channel width should not be set higher than 60 MHz, and in reality 40 MHz is fine for devices like a Roku.

On the 2.4 GHz radio, the channel must be between 1 and 11. If it's on 12, 13 or 14, your Roku won't see it. Also disable all protocols other than 802.11n. If you have some really old wireless equipment you might need to enable both g and n, but try n alone first.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Plj
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Similar Issue:
My issue with the 2 Rokue Expresses happened after my Cox internet service dropped for over 2 hours yesterday morning. The WiFi network showed up in the list of available networks but the Roku devices were not connecting. 

After numerous reboots to the internet modem and resets to the home network router I performed the factory reset on only one of the TV's. It still did not connect. I did login in to the admin page of my router and changed the auto channel set to #11 on the 2.4 Ghz. 

I was given a fire tv stick by a friend this Evening which included a HDMI extender that improves wifi performance and successfully installed. I now have streaming on my large screen tv once again.

However, my other tv in the room next to where my modem and router are shows WiFi at Excellent, still will not connect. I bought the unit in October 2020 and the model #3930x. 

As this other person was lucky enough to get a wifi extender from AT&T, I've looked online for one, but they are expensive. If I have to spend $30 I'll buy a second Fire Stick since those seem to work just fine. 

Sad Note: I've had one ROKU stick bought in 2014 with my smart tv, and then 2 Roku Expresses since with no issues. Something has gone wrong with the last update I imagine.

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Channel 6

802 11n

0 Kudos