Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ROKU WORKED FINE BEFORE, NOW NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET,

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem. Only on one tv the roku won't connect.  it worked fine last week, now all it does is show the roku bouncing on the screen.  i have excellent strength on internet. high speed.  but will not do anything.  hope someone has an answer.  what is the reset button on the roku.  i pushed it, nothing happened.  thanks.   and i have have unplugged rebooted everything i know.  thanks

Fiery_Accalia
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

when i reset i had to go into settings i think so it can reset.. but still it only works when it wants to and nothing they have out there that is supposed to fix it works.. 

ropeshki

Jump to solution

I have a brand new Roku Streaming Stick + and it worked fine for a few hours but now, it keeps disconnecting after approx 20 min.  I have unplugged, plugged, booted and rebooted, reset, etc.....it still keeps happening?  What do I need to do?????

I have Virgin Internet and the speedtest results were :

Download speed 20.45 mb/s

Upload speed 6.19 mb/s

Ping latency 117.77 ms

I was told this was enough.  Is there something else wrong???

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

That's a terrible ping time, but that doesn't impact your connection to WiFi. You have plenty of bandwidth for anything other than 4K, which is right at the edge. 

But disconnecting from the WiFi has nothing to do with your speed or latency. There's something wrong with either your Roku or your router. The Roku might be getting too warm, so if you don't have one of the free HDMI extender cables from Roku you should request one. Moving the Stick away from the TV allows better airflow around it. And it's always possible there's something defective with the Roku. Of all my Roku devices, only a couple have a wired connection, all the rest use WiFi. I don't have any issues with keeping a connection. 

For the router, there's too many things to suggest to check, really. Every brand has different settings. If your router doesn't support 5 GHz, I suggest replacing it with one that does. 5 GHz has a bit less range but overall much higher bandwidth and less interference on that band. 

And that actually brings one one other thing: interference. Sometimes other devices within the same frequency band that WiFi uses can disrupt your WiFi connection, sometimes even breaking it. The first step to try is to change the channel your WiFi uses. On 2.4 GHz, you should use channel 1, 6 or 11. On 5 GHz, use channel 48 or lower, or channel 149 or higher. The channels in the middle are unsupported by Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yess same ! Did you figure it out ?

0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi,

I never figured it out, but it is now working for almost 2 weeks.  I did everything everyone else has done, and it never worked.  I changed channels and that did nothing.  Mine didn't work for 3-4 months.  With so many people having the same issue, it has to be ROKU that has some sort of problem, and not the people.  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If your Roku wasn't connected to the Internet, there was no way Roku could have pushed an update out to your device to resolve the problem. Therefore the problem had to be something other than the Roku. Something else must have changed for it to connect again.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Barb47
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Why do so many hundreds of people have the same problem?  ROKU worked for years and all of a sudden stopped working for hundreds of people.   Everyone of my peripherals were connected to the internet, but ROKU.  First of all, it would connect to the internet, then it wouldn't, then it would connect.  Then it couldn't find wi-fi, then it connected, but everything had no issue with wifi.   All of a sudden it started working, just like all of a sudden it stopped working.

Diluca

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. Roku was working fine until last night. Now it won't connect to the wifi. All my other devices are working fine. What is happening?  And how do we fix it? #support #Roku #costumerservice #help 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @Barb47 @Diluca

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, if the affected device is Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About or underneath the player itself.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos