Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU WORKED FINE BEFORE, NOW NOT CONNECTING TO INTERNET,

Jump to solution

@Brimstonefox Unfortunately, there's no easy explanation on how to check your WiFi settings. Every router/access point has a different method of logging into it, and even label things differently. 

But once you can access the settings, you can look for any WiFi/Radio settings. If your router is dual band, there will be settings for both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz radio. While there are some Roku devices that support 5 GHz, they all support 2.4 GHz, so let's concentrate on those settings. First you want to make sure the 2.4 radio is enabled, and that the SSID (the name it broadcasts) is enabled. Almost all devices have the ability to disable SSID broadcast, to hide their networks. It's not really hidden, but it doesn't appear when devices search for a connection. 

The next important thing is the channel that the 2.4 GHz radio is using. In that band, there are 14 possible channels, but Roku devices only work on 1-11. That is mainly because 12-14 are not legal to use in all countries, so Roku simply doesn't support them. By default, virtually all routers are set to auto-assign the channel used, so it's possible it has assigned an unsupported channel. Since it's on auto-assign, it can change the channel used without you knowing, and that would explain why it was there one day and gone the next. So you need to manually assign the channel. You should use channel 1, 6, or 11, as those are the only ones that don't overlap a different channel. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
fkunc
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My problems began shortly after a Dec 30, 2020 Roku update.  You can check your last update to see when it was done in your Roku settings (to see if it was updated sometime after your initial installation when it was working).  My rarely used older laptop still worked on the wireless just fine, and the Roku is the only wireless device I normally use with everything else hardwired for security reasons.

If it was working before it quit, then your modem/router was obviously broadcasting on 2.4 gig and it is highly unlikely that it changed itself during use but that should be verified anyway.  Your ISP should be able to tell you how to access your modem/router if you rent it from them (generally you just access it with a browser and login using your username and password) or if you own it yourself the manufacturers website will give directions along with all sorts of instructions available on the internet.

So first follow all the standard stuff from Roku and it that doesn't work then do them over and over and over again till you're satisfied you'll keep getting the same results every time then attack your modem settings to try a few things.

When all that standard stuff fails there are two things you might try that finally led me to a workaround solution.  Not a real fix but it works and I can use my Roku.

First try setting your network to use an non encrypted mode, just turn encryption off, to see if that works for you (it did for me).  If it does that means the fault lies in Roku (took several hours online with my modem technical support trying every possible setting to determine this).

Second, since no encryption is not a good idea, this is worth trying since it worked for me.  Set up a guest network in your modem/router settings and see if it will log onto that.  That allows you to use the Roku even if it will not log on to your normal home network.

FWIW, when it became obvious the problem was with the Roku I first thought the old on had just gone bad and bought a new one.  It updated itself after initial connection and the problem was the same with a brand new one so I don't recommend that as a solution.  It's sad that Roku has no real technical support the way almost everything else does.

0 Kudos
smt7

Jump to solution

I received a letter from Spectrum that said it will not support older roku devices using operating system version 9.1 or earlier...that may be the issue you are having.  I am now looking into getting a newer model.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

They're referring to the Spectrum channel.  Any device should connect to the router irrespective of OS version.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tradey
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue & I’m BEYOND FRUSTRATED. I sent an email to support but I don’t think the person who replied even read my email. I would never recommend this product to anyone!!

0 Kudos
tanerakn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello there, You need to change the wireless> control channel settings in your modem settings. roku only accepts 1 to 11 values. You will see that you are connected through wireless when you change these values.

0 Kudos
Smileyfox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Screenshot_20210311-102915.png

Screenshot_20210311-102907.png

I woke up with this issue and after reading through an ungodly amount of the same complaints and suggestions, I found a solution that worked for both rokus that were not connecting. 

For most of us our modem is set to automatically set the channel for our wifi. Something happened to where the channel it's automatically selected is not one that the roku recognizes.  I read that it only sees channels 1-11 so I pulled up my xfinity app, opened advanced settings and went to the 2.4 and 5g options... clicked on edit 2.4g and started to go through the channels manually until my roku connected. It works just fine now! Hope this helps!! 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Smileyfox Nice troubleshooting. I might suggest changing your channel width on the 2.4 GHz radio to 20 MHz. There's very little to be gained using 40, and the potential for inter-channel interference goes up quite a bit. Of course, if you've scanned the band and there isn't much else in that spectrum, then go for it. 🙂

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Smileyfox
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Done! I had no idea the difference it made, I'm pretty naive to this tech stuff lol Thanks so much for the extra help! 

0 Kudos
DocRock

Jump to solution

Hi

I have had the same B.S. with an older Roku Ultra - after the latest software update the device was a brick.  I bought a new Ultra LT, which I connected today.  **bleep** thing started looping with software updates, so I cut the power and restarted the device.  After that, there was no network connection.  My system is wired and in all cases the connections give 2 green checks.  My analysis is that the latest Roku software update has a major bug.  I connect my Roku's to an HDMI cable that runs through my amplifier - which might be the issue.  Either way, I have seen nothing from Roku that indicates that they have any idea what the problem is, or how to fix it.  Moving on to a Firestick and will not recommend Roku to anyone.

0 Kudos