Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PatL
Level 8

ROKU WIFI Failure

3920X ROKU Premier

Installed January, 2020

Worked great until July 3rd, 2021

Problem: ROKU no longer detects my network or any of the dozen networks in my neighborhood.  All other PCs and devices have no problem detecting all of the networks.  If I reboot the ROKU and Router the ROKU detects my network but none of the other networks and I get a weak internet connection warning.  Eventually, the ROKU loses the connection again and cannot detect any networks.

Actions: I have tried ALL actions listed in the ROKU manuals, web site, and on screen suggestions.  NOTHING works.

Actions for ROKU: Update your suggestion list to debug this problem.  Find out if my ROKU is broken and needs to be replaced.  Find out if ISPs are trying to put ROKU out of business by excluding ROKU devices.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9\
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure

Hey @PatL

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Premiere is a single-band wireless device and they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure


@PatL wrote:

3920X ROKU Premier

Installed January, 2020

Worked great until July 3rd, 2021

Problem: ROKU no longer detects my network or any of the dozen networks in my neighborhood.  All other PCs and devices have no problem detecting all of the networks.  If I reboot the ROKU and Router the ROKU detects my network but none of the other networks and I get a weak internet connection warning.  Eventually, the ROKU loses the connection again and cannot detect any networks.

Actions: I have tried ALL actions listed in the ROKU manuals, web site, and on screen suggestions.  NOTHING works.

Actions for ROKU: Update your suggestion list to debug this problem.  Find out if my ROKU is broken and needs to be replaced.  Find out if ISPs are trying to put ROKU out of business by excluding ROKU devices.


You didnt mention your firmware version:  Settings/System/About

You also didnt mention what specific troubleshooting steps you tried.

1) Try the network connection reset:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset

2) Manually configure your modem/router/gateway 2.4Ghz to channel 1, 6, or 11 - set the channel width to 20Mhz, disable any "B" mode (only G/N/AC).

0 Kudos
PatL
Level 8

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure

Your reply is worthless.  As I stated in my post, I tried ALL of the suggestions on your web site.  Why should I try them again?  Your entire set of instructions do not apply to my problem.

 

I should have added that my router uses "n" and runs at 2.4 GHz.

 

Do you have any helpful solutions?

0 Kudos
PatL
Level 8

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure

Your questions are not germane.  Why do I have to list all of the steps that I followed several times from the web site?  Did you not read my post?  When I say I did ALL I meant ALL.

 

What difference does the firmware version make?  It is up to date as ROKU updates it automatically.

 

For your information: I have reset and restarted this thing many times in the past 2 days.  I have also tried using the "secret" settings screens.  Nothing works.

 

Do you have something useful to recommend?

 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure


@PatL wrote:

Your questions are not germane.  Why do I have to list all of the steps that I followed several times from the web site?  Did you not read my post?  When I say I did ALL I meant ALL.

 

What difference does the firmware version make?  It is up to date as ROKU updates it automatically.

 

For your information: I have reset and restarted this thing many times in the past 2 days.  I have also tried using the "secret" settings screens.  Nothing works.

 

Do you have something useful to recommend?

 


The questions are germane if you want assistance/a solution.

"All" is meaningless in this context, since it doesnt specifically mention the different steps you tried.

Different firmware versions/builds have different wireless driver versions, bugs, and issues. 

"Up to date" is also meaningless, because Roku uses model-specific builds and uses staggered/limited rollouts.  You need to state what actual firmware is on your Roku device:  Settings/System/About.

What "reset" did you do? (there are two in the public UI) What "restart process" did you use? (there are several).

There are many "secret settings screens"  with all sorts of settings/information - stating you "used" them is also meaningless.

I recommend instead of refusing to state specific information about your Roku and specific steps you have taken, and refusing to answer questions designed to help you troubleshoot/solve your issue, that you provide the specific information, state the specific steps, and answer the specific questions.

 

0 Kudos
PatL
Level 8

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure, do you have a helpful suggestion or not?

You should really stop posting here.  When I said ALL I meant ALL including ALL resets and ALL Restarts.  I gave the device name at the top of my original post so I was using the latest update to the firmware for that model.  Stop fishing and offer something useful.

0 Kudos
PatL
Level 8

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure (Please note: there was no help from ROKU or the other comments I received)

So I solved my problem.  I bought a new unit.  The new unit found a dozen routers in my neighborhood whereas the old unit only found my router or at times failed to find any router.  The new unit found a fair signal while the old unit claimed it was a poor signal.  The old unit lasted 17 months.  This is unacceptable, ROKU.  I would expect this product to last for years.  It isn't rocket science and ROKU is a pioneer in streaming devices having created and sold these streamers for years.  The device runs very warm which may have contributed to its early demise.  You may want to consider using a larger case with air vents or adding a heat sink.  The new item is a ROKU Premiere, same as the old item.  If it doesn't last for years then it will be the last ROKU product that I ever buy.

StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure, do you have a helpful suggestion or not?


@PatL wrote:

You should really stop posting here.  When I said ALL I meant ALL including ALL resets and ALL Restarts.  I gave the device name at the top of my original post so I was using the latest update to the firmware for that model.  Stop fishing and offer something useful.


I'm sure between the two of us, the one most likely to stop posting (at least under this account) - as you did for a week - is the one threatening not to buy any more Roku products. 

Again, "all" is meaningless because no one else knows what you think "all" is.  As great as our knowledge or assistance powers are (or arent), mind-reading isnt one of them.

The device name wasnt requested, the firmware version was.   Stating the model name/# doesnt indicate what the firmware version is in your specific device (hence why its a separately listed item in "About") - again, Roku uses model specific builds, staggered/regional rollouts, and limited releases, etc.

"Fishing" isnt necessary if you provide the pertinent requested information instead of refusing to.

When you refuse to provide basic information or answer basic questions about your Roku and the issue, help is going to be very limited.

 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: ROKU WIFI Failure (Please note: there was no help from ROKU or the other comments I received)

 

 


@PatL wrote:

So I solved my problem.  I bought a new unit.  The new unit found a dozen routers in my neighborhood whereas the old unit only found my router or at times failed to find any router.  The new unit found a fair signal while the old unit claimed it was a poor signal.  The old unit lasted 17 months.  This is unacceptable, ROKU.  I would expect this product to last for years.  It isn't rocket science and ROKU is a pioneer in streaming devices having created and sold these streamers for years.  The device runs very warm which may have contributed to its early demise.  You may want to consider using a larger case with air vents or adding a heat sink.  The new item is a ROKU Premiere, same as the old item.  If it doesn't last for years then it will be the last ROKU product that I ever buy.


Its good you found a solution.   Unfortunately it required the purchase of a new unit - Express (single band non-4K) models are notorious for having WiFi issues, and I dont recommend them.

All of the models run warm, this is common for CE, especially those in smaller packages/SoCs handling lots of AVN data.  The smaller the device package, the more difficult it is to provide "air vents" and "heat sinks".

Thankfully the lower-end devices are relatively inexpensive so if you do have to replace one for whatever reason, $20-35 is very reasonable.

I wouldnt recommend the Premiere (3920), since its a 2019 model - I recommend the Express 4K+ instead (dual band, USB ethernet capable), especially considering your WiFi issues.


 

0 Kudos