Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayCheryl

ROKU Ultra 5GHz Wifi Connection Question

Hello!

We have two ROKU Ultra Streaming devices and neither of them is able to connect to the 5GHz wifi signal from our router.  The Ultra model numbers we have are: 4670X and 4800X.  I purchased them with the understanding that these were dual-band streaming devices.  Is this not so?  I also understand that the model 4801X and 4802X are now the "latest & greatest" Ultra devices...  Are these new models able to connect to 5GHz wifi, but not the models that we currently have?

If our current ROKU Ultra device models ARE supposed to be able to connect to the 5GHz wifi network, can you provide some troubleshooting instructions for us to try on our current devices?

Thank you very much,

Jay

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU Ultra 5GHz Wifi Connection Question

@JayCheryl 

The nine 5 GHz channels supported by Roku devices are 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, and 165.

The channels assigned to the 5 GHz band in ranges 50-64 and 100-144 are shared with other uses such as military, radar, and weather. These channels are termed DFS (dynamic frequency selection) channels and routers are supposed to automatically switch to a different channel if they detect one of these channels is in use in your area. Roku and many other home use devices don't support these DFS channels.

Many home routers don't include DFS channels, but some do. Make sure your router is not using these DFS channels, and that it is not using an auto select option that could choose a DFS channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

YourTexasBenefits wrote:

@JayCheryl 

The nine 5 GHz channels supported by Roku devices are 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, and 165.

The channels assigned to the 5 GHz band in ranges 50-64 and 100-144 are shared with other uses such as military, radar, and weather. These channels are termed DFS (dynamic frequency selection) channels and routers are supposed to automatically switch to a different channel if they detect one of these channels is in use in your area. Roku and many other home use devices don't support these DFS channels.

Many home routers don't include DFS channels, but some do. Make sure your router is not using these DFS channels, and that it is not using an auto select option that could choose a DFS channel.

Thank you for the information and advice!

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Verizon FIOS is the only ISP that I know of that has DFS on by default on Verizon's routers. If you have Verizon FIOS as your ISP then you can disable DFS by using the My FIOS app on your phone or log onto to Verizon's website site and disable DFS from your settings.

MikeyMetalhead
Reel Rookie

This

Thanks changing the channel on my 5ghz network allowed Roku to see it

0 Kudos