Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

DFS channels are a group of 5 GHz channels that are not permitted to be used in some geographical locations. Roku devices will not see a wireless router using DFS channels, so it's best to do exactly what you did, to disable their use. That way if the router decides to change the channel it uses (which can happen when channel selection is on Auto) it won't use an unsupported channel. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

DFS channels are a group of 5 GHz channels that are not permitted to be used in some geographical locations. Roku devices will not see a wireless router using DFS channels

Is that stated somewhere on the Roku support pages?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@mmortal03 wrote:

Is that stated somewhere on the Roku support pages?

I can't say for sure. I just did a search, and while nothing from an official Roku site was returned, numerous other sites did have the info. But I would agree that it is something Roku should include on a FAQ page at the least. 

The issue with using DFS channels is a bit complicated, and would end up not only adding cost to the Roku but would also make the remote non-functional for 60 seconds after the device is rebooted. Again, the reason is complicated and is due to the 5 GHz band being shared with radar systems. Here's a reasonable explanation from an older Reddit post:

The main reason is probably the WiFi remotes. As I understand it, DFS requires the transmitter to be aware of other (non-WiFi) users of that channel and avoid using the channel in that case. The WiFi remotes don't really have the smarts to meet those requirements, so while the AP and Roku player might be able to channel hop to get out of the way of other users, the remotes don't really support that (at least not the get out of the way immediately bit), so it's simpler to just not use those channels.

Dan

0 Kudos
Rayna83
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@Kmill78 wrote:

I am not sure if the roku stick works like the Express but i was able to get my roku Express to connect back to the wifi again by doing a factory rest.

Press the 

Home x5

Fast forward x3

Rewind x2

Should take you to s screen where you can choose factory reset. Hopefully this works for you🤞

Thank you so much. It worked perfectly!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
WYJoe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It worked for me too. I have 3 Rokus, they all have the the problem the same day; computer, tablet and phone working fine. I restarted The modem and its fixed!  Thanks  

0 Kudos
Bewildered_Bob
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hello: which channel did you change TO ??  

Thanx.

Bewildered Bob

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

For the 2.4 GHz band, channels 1, 6 or 11 are the recommended ones to use. They are the only ones that don't overlap each other. channels 2-5 will all overlap 1, 6 or both. Same with 7-10, they overlap 6 and/or 11. And if your router supports channels 12-14, your Roku can't see those channels at all, and they aren't supposed to be used in North America anyway.

Dan

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Wow, I followed all the steps and still cannot seem to get it work. SMH.

0 Kudos
Bewildered_Bob
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku gets disconnected from the internet at random times.

Jump to solution

Researching this unacceptable situation revealed that Spectrum "over-subscribes" revenue-paying customers. This unfortunately results is MUCH SLOWER download speeds when the viewing audience is large (starting around 5 PM ET). Before then it works as advertised. After midnite it also works well. But instead of admitting this truth to me, Spectrum tech support claimed (without any supporting facts) that my CUSTOMER OWNED WIRELESS ROUTER was causing the problem (it shd be "curated" by the manufacturer). He added that if the router was rented from Spectrum (instead of owned) it would be supported (maybe). But the router works well until 5 PM and after midnite. HOW LONG WILL SPECTRUM CONTINUE THIS FRUSTRATING PRACTICE OF SCREWING ITS POWERLESS CUSTOMERS ??

0 Kudos
cess49

Jump to solution

I have tried everything suggested and I still cannot connect to my network! I got a new router from AT&T and it simply will not connect! I did a complete factory reset and nothing!!! Any advice?

0 Kudos