Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

@kmrsy wrote:

Roku suggested that I get Comcast to assign two separate network names for my 5g and  my 2.4g. Comcast says they can't do that and they can't change the channels for either one. I'm wondering just how big this problem is and when it stared for everyone and if it's just attributable to certain providers.

The Comcast person is incorrect. You can assign separate names (SSID) via the Xfinity app. You might have to dig a little to find it, but I just did and it's there. Under the LAN settings, there is a checkbox that allows assigning each band a different SSID. While they do have the channels locked from your control, I don't believe them if they say they can't change the channel themselves. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
21_Apc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I did that with mine, made no difference. It connects to set up but will not stay connected after & I am honestly gonna buy a fire stick & see how that works out 🤷🏼‍♀️

0 Kudos
21_Apc
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

And my xfinity streaming box works great, never had connection issues with my wifi, I’m just convinced Roku is poop 

0 Kudos
donnaoiler

Jump to solution

I have reset everything just like everyone suggested and it still won't connect!!!

0 Kudos
Quial1

Jump to solution

This did not work 

0 Kudos
cardbrown
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Far chance getting Comcast to do anything for me. 

0 Kudos
TimSlattery
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Umm...you said to eliminate the 802.11b setting on your router, but...

Mine was set to use 802.11 g or n. I added  b to the list, and it connected. What!?

This has been going on for a few weeks now. My Roku express stopped connecting after working perfectly for

0 Kudos
TimSlattery
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'll finish my post, which was sent before I intended.

Connection problem have been going on for a few weeks now. My Roku express stopped connecting (014.30) after working perfectly for a year and a half. I tried everything, nothing worked. I finally bought a new one. Plugged it in, set it up, and it wouldn't connect. Finally found an article that said that some Rokus don't like punctuation or symbols in the wireless network password. OK, so I changed my network password to get rid of the exclamation point, and it worked just fine again.

Today, a couple of weeks after changing the password, it stopped connecting again. This time I find the above article that says to eliminate 802.11b. I misread it and added 802.11b, and it connected instantly! I don't get it. Maybe it's the channel. My router is set to select a channel automatically. If it screws up again, I'll set it to use channel 11.

Nothing else in my house connects on 2.4G. Why does Roku not use 5G? Whatever else, THIS KIND OF STUFF SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!!!!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@TimSlattery wrote:

Umm...you said to eliminate the 802.11b setting on your router, but...

Mine was set to use 802.11 g or n. I added  b to the list, and it connected. What!?

This seems to be something specific to Comcast and perhaps some other cable companies. It doesn't make any sense, but adding b back into the modes appears to resolve the issue. I just switched to Comcast myself a month ago, but I have multiple access points in my home so don't connect to the Xfinity gateway directly anyway. Mine is set to g/n, and I don't have control to change it myself. I'm still having issues with Comcast support, as they can't seem to get my port forwarding to work at all, and my voicemail isn't configured either. While they have improved their customer service in many ways, they still have some work to do. 

Dan

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@TimSlattery wrote:

Nothing else in my house connects on 2.4G. Why does Roku not use 5G? Whatever else, THIS KIND OF STUFF SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!!!!

Not all Roku devices support 5 GHz. The Express and Premiere do not, and some of the less expensive Roku TVs don't as well. The Ultra, Stick, and Express 4K all do support 5 GHz. I'm only speaking about the current models. There are some older Roku devices that support 5 GHz as well. 

Dan

0 Kudos