Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClayClai
Binge Watcher

Re: ROKU TV Suddenly won't connect to Internet - no problem before now

Jump to solution

@renojim 

I tried 2 different channels, it had been set to auto. Then I tried Legacy, and N,20Mhz, and then those with a different channel, having the Roku scan after each change. No joy - still never sees my SSID, although it sees plenty of others I don't have passwords for. So now my 2.4G radio is back to where it was.

Another thought - change the SSID! No joy. Just as well, I'd hate to have to reconfigure everything else.

Changed mode from Access Point (WDS) to Access Point. No joy.

Changed Transmit Power from auto to 9dbm (router is 4 ft from Roku) & 30 dbm. Still no joy, so back to auto on the power. Also tried restarting the radio, but only one time. Same with rebooting the Roku. Don't think either of those are necessary after each radio change, as the HP notebook reconnected each time, but the Roku refuses to even see the SSID. 

One last thing, tried turning off WMM Mode, and moving the Roku around a bit. Still no joy.

I'm fresh out of ideas. Any more suggestions? I just wish I was getting paid for the time I've put into this today. I could by quite a few Roku Expresses, not that I would now.

ClayClai
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Actually, there seems to be at least 9 threads that may be related to the same problem:

Can not wifi connect after v9.4 upgrade 

Roku 3810 Stick+ no longer sees my network

Roku Premiere not connecting to wireless after fol...

Roku won't connect to Wifi it was connected to.

Roku 3810 Stick+ no longer sees my network

Roku Devices Not Connecting or Showing Home Wi-Fi

Roku Ultra - wireless network issues - no Interfer...

Roku Express won't connect to network after downlo...

Roku Ultra, WIRED connections dropped since firmwa...

0 Kudos
dollilocks
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@ClayClai 

A wireless device isn’t going to connect to a router when the M.A.C. address isn’t recognized.  Forget the router. Call Spectrum and have them add the Roku’s M.A.C. address.  Give it time and step through the connection process. 

0 Kudos
dollilocks
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@renojim 

Yes, of course you can have WiFi without Internet. The question is can the issue be resolved? Yes. What are the detailed network, security settings and whatever other technical nuisances that can be thrown into the equation.... How much time will that require? Can’t say. I can say that I’ve not experienced any hiccups since resolving the connection and the problem happened to two Roku devices at the same time.  What sort of bug would cause this? Don’t know. I could dig into the nighthawk but no need, it’s working 

0 Kudos
dollilocks
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@ClayClai Wow that’s a lot of threads. Lots of issues. Hopefully Roku is paying attention.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ClayClai, wow!  It looks like you've exhausted everything except the security settings.  There's at least one report that changing to WEP made the SSID show up on the Roku.  I would think if that works then no security would also work.  Neither of those are a solution (definitely not), but it would be interesting to see if you get the same results.  That would point to some issue with security.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ClayClai
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@renojim

No joy with either no security or WEP, and frankly, in this, my third day of struggling with this, I'm calling it quits. I spent $30 for an Roku Express to smarten up my one remaining dumb TV. Fortunately, I have options, including Fire TV.

It's clear that dozens of users, of varying levels of technical sophistication. are struggling with a bug in a fw upgrade that Roku rolled out to all their users without adequate testing. We are doing so without the necessary specs or info on the internal functioning of the device. I have no such issue with my OpenWRT router, which is open source, or my Fire TV, which run mostly open source android, which means it can run Kodi as a bonusSmiley Happy

And where is Roku in all of this? They chose to make their product proprietary. Then they expect their user community to solve problems they created, without their assistance. That is a lousy business model.

If they come up with a fix, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm going to stop throwing precious time after bad money, and start looking at the available alternatives.    

Nomore1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wow youv done alot and to no avail .I just started with this problem the other day was working fine the next morning signal got real weak and not connected to my wireless router .I moved it closer to wifi nothing I kept restarting both wifi and roku nothing .I was able to connect roku to my hotspot on my cell for only about 30 min now even that won't work connects to wifi but not internet .everything else connects to my wifi exept roku .now I factory reset can't get past the part where they send you a code because no internet 009 code and also in network list I had a long list showing everyone by me .they are all gone only shows my network and my hotspot .both connect to wireless but not internet .I give up .but wondering if I buy a new one would the same happen I figured it broke ? I said all that lol just to ask are new costumers with new devises  also having this issue ?

0 Kudos
ClayClai
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

"my hotspot on my cell for only about 30 min now even that won't work connects to wifi but not internet"

That sounds like the mobile companies are getting wise to this "fix," and blocking your Roku. Does your phone see the Internet otherwise? I'm sure they don't want the extra load. Probably just as well. because unless your plan has unlimited data, you could be in for a big billing surprise if you try to run your Roku long that way.

A new Roku may work for a while, but if this is how they handle support for bad fw upgrades they initiate, the question is: For how long?

jimalso
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks dolllocks, but MAC authentication is OFF by default on our lowly Frontier supplied Netgear D2200D modem for our rural ~6Mbs service. (We have no neighbors or public road within WiFi distance.) We *do* have a few 'home automation' devices on the WiFi.

0 Kudos