Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warfighter1462
Level 7

ROKU EXPRESS USES OLD SCHOOL TECH. WIFI RUNS ONLY ON 2.4G

Roku express uses old tech wifi on new products would have liked to know that information BEFORE I BOUGHT ONE. It was never disclosed in the product description.  IN MY VIEW ITS FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. It was never disclosed that it would always select a 2.4G wifi over a fast 5G wifi although when I set it up it was on the 5Gwifi for 3 months then all on sudden it changed to 2.4g and it can't even get to recognize the 5G wifi. what a piece of cr---. And the fact that we have been in this covid 19 situation for 4 months now and still on customer support. total free line is not answered. a reccording about covid 19 pure BS.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: ROKU EXPRESS USES OLD SCHOOL TECH. WIFI RUNS ONLY ON 2.4G

No Roku Express or Premiere model has EVER supported the 5 GHz band -- they don't contain dual band wifi radios, just single band radios only using the 2.4 GHz band via 802.11 b/g/n protocols.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

When a company like Roku makes multiple devices, it's worth clicking on the compare button on their website.  Lots of inexpensive devices are still 2.4GHz, but you can get a Roku with 5GHz for about $20 more.  Then again, if you thought it was on 5GHz for 3 months, maybe it's not really a big deal?  My Roku Express gets 23Mbps at the far corner of the house which is plenty for HD streaming. 

0 Kudos
eriknicholas
Level 7

HA HA! This kid is complaining about "Old school tech" like it intrinsically means "obsolete"... You better unplug all your devices from the wall, because those outlet designs are ancient!
Guess what! Every new device today still sends and receives the 2.4GHz band, why?
Because 2.4GHz has several advantage over 5GHz:

1. LONGER RANGE. And that's not tech-based, that's physics-based: higher-frequencies have faster transfers but shorter ranges.
  2. WIDER SUPPORT. All devices, both old and new, support 2.4GHz.
  3. AFFORDABILITY. Want to cater to the masses? Price it for everyone.
  4. SUFFICIENT FOR STREAMING: 2.4GHz still streams audio and video faster than you can watch it (Example: While you're watching it at a speed of 1 second of video per second of real-time it is buffering an additional 30 seconds of video per second of time).

What more are you doing with your Roku? Playing Massively Multiplayer Online games? Fast forwarding and rewinding out of your buffer every fifteen seconds (clearing your buffer and requiring a new download)?