Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dakar34
Level 8

ROKU 2 (doesn't find wireless?) "can't connect to the internet"

I went in my wireless router and changed the IP's to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 but when the roku poowers up it searches a minute and then immediately says "can't connect." Nothing I select on the remote changes this during or after it arrives at this point. After a while it then shuts down. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11\
dgrace
Level 11

Re: ROKU 2 (doesn't find wireless?) "can't connect to the internet"

Those IPs are for Domain Name Servers, so hopefully you change whatever was there, and not your actual device IP. A typical home IP should look something like this 192.168.1.1, or some variation of those last two. 

You could start off by using dhcp setting which will assign unused IPs when a device needs one. If there is a need to have one stay assigned to the roku, then it could be reserved in the router so it always gives your roku the same number.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
dakar34
Level 8

Check this out. This is why I did it. Wifi works fine, but Roku still won't connect. https://www.scottallen.com/2013/04/how-to-fix-a-roku-that-wont-connect-to-the-internet/

0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 11

That is exactly the process to change your dns addresses to those google dns IPs. If you are getting internet on other devices I'd power roku off and back on, go into network setup menu and report what you find.

FZ
0 Kudos
dakar34
Level 8

I can’t get it to respond to any input. I have fresh batteries. 

0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 11

So this is a new problem? 

FZ
0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

@dakar34  as @dgrace said those addresses are DNS servers.

You need to reset your Router probably to default values,

That article you linked to is ancient. Reset your ROUTER to Default

its in the Routers settings somewhere.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 11

If you reset it, you'll need to recreate your home wifi name and password. Just FYI.

The router doesn't explain why the remote isn't working now.

Probably the better advice is to scrap that old roku 2 and enjoy a newer model. My brother in law just replaced his older roku with the new roku soundbar and says it's amazing.

FZ
0 Kudos
dakar34
Level 8

The Roku was given to me by someone who got a truly smart TV. My TV is new but turns out to be only semi-smart, and can only by itself run pre-loaded apps

0 Kudos
dakar34
Level 8

I'll give it aa try, but that simply sounds like where I started

0 Kudos