Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmazzotta
Channel Surfer

Question about Interference from Wifi Direct before I buy a ROKU device

I currently have a ROKU Express device hooked up on a TV which is very close to a WiFi Range Extender (AirTies with my ATT Router).

I've read alot of chatter on different forums about Roku's remote technology (Wifi Direct) messing up Wifi signals (ie: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=roku+interference+with+wifi&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS872US872&oq=rok&aqs=chro...

- https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-Express-Wi-Fi-Direct-is-causin...

https://sites.google.com/site/rokucomlinkaut/home/preventingrokudirectwi-fiaccessfrombreakingthrough...

Using my iPhone, I do NOT  see any sort of network like "Wi-Fi Direct SSID DIRECT-roku-123-A2"  when using it near this TV that has a 'Roku Express' device hooked up to it, so I am NOT sure if this is a problem with these devices.  I've tried to access the 'secret menu' referenced in these articles on the Roku device but have not been able to do so.  Not sure if it is active in this Roku model.   Is it?

I have another TV that currently has an Apple-TV 3rd gen device hooked up to it that I am considering swapping out with a Roku Express or Roku Express+ with , but this TV is very close to my main router (about 15 away).  I am concerned about going with Roku if this is going to be a problem that will cause my wifi to get messed up.

Can anyone tell me if the Roku Express or Roku Express+ use the 'Wi-Fi Direct' technology and if it does, will it cause problems with my Wi-Fi?

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Question about Interference from Wifi Direct before I buy a ROKU device

There were several models known as the "Express" or "Express+".  I believe not all (if any?) supported Wi-Fi Direct remotes.  What's the model number from Settings->About?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Karmagedon
Roku Guru

I think it is used only for the wifi remote to connect between remote and player.  

0 Kudos
tmazzotta
Channel Surfer

Yes thanks. I believe you’re correct there.

but the question is will this technology interfere with my regular Wi-Fi connections as described in the various articles posted above.

thanks

0 Kudos
tmazzotta
Channel Surfer

Renojim 

Thanks for getting back to me. I haven’t bought the item yet but I’m hoping planning to. here’s the link

https://www.instacart.com/landing?product_id=21927722&retailer_id=1487&region_id=32200995105&utm_med...

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Since it comes with a voice remote it's a Wi-Fi Direct remote.  It's hard to say whether or not Wi-Fi Direct will cause problems for your other W-Fi devices.  There have been many reports here of problems and a long time ago I was convinced my remote was causing issues, but that was a long time ago and I haven't any problems in a while.  Let's just say Wi-Fi Direct isn't supposed to cause problems and printers and other devices use it.  Keep in mind that there are probably millions of remotes being used without any issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tmazzotta
Channel Surfer

thanks renojim -

Ours just arrived today.. I'll set it up over the weekend. Hopefully it doesn't cause any trouble.

0 Kudos
Lisainetn

Very interested to know what you've experienced w your new setup.

I came across this by accident, and now suspect Roku may be the culprit of my laggy wifi signal on my Android phone.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SMUnixGuy

I am having the same problem.  I kept having my wifi drop off of my Macbook and didn't know why.  I even bought new wireless access points and have a different network setup.  I installed NetSpot and was monitoring the wireless strength around me and then I had a drop and I saw that [hidden] from Roku was the top signal and blasting to the top of the strength.  It made my laptop on a totally another Wifi on a different channel lose connection for a second.   

This is horrible.  I am like 10 feet with my remote to the Roku box.  This needs to be resolved.  Why is my Roku blasting their signal?   Also, you can't turn it off without turning on your remote.  This is very very bad engineering.  someone please fix this at Roku.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@SMUnixGuy

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What wireless router are you using and who is your ISP? In addition, what wireless frequency are you using?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos