Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not_a_Techie
Channel Surfer

Problems with Wireless Connection, Sound, & Buffering since latest Update

My Roku streamer has recently started having a lot more issues with buffering (particularly the Roku channel) and it's dropping the sound for several words in every sentence (especially bad on the Paramount+ channel).  I contacted my ISP and it doesn't seem to be a problem they can fix.  They feel the problem is that my Roku is no longer finding the 5 ghz signal.  It always used to pick up both 2.4 & 5 ghz wireless signals.  My other devices are still able to connect to the 5 ghz.  It seems to have started after my Roku did a recent update.  How can I fix this problem?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Problems with Wireless Connection, Sound, & Buffering since latest Update

What's the model number of your Roku from Settings->System->About.  Not all Roku devices support 5GHz.  Assuming yours does, not all 5GHz channels are supported.  Make sure you're using a channel below 50 or above 150.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
tb1uk21

since the software update yesterday both my Roku Express and Express 4K have had problems. the sound drops out on both and i have to reboot then to get the sound back. also, they both start to buffer and loses picture. it's doing it on every app i use but, it seems worse with Youtube

0 Kudos
Not_a_Techie
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your response.  I have Roku Express+ Model 3710X 

I'm not sure what you mean about "a channel below 50 or above 150".  How do I check that?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Not_a_Techie 

Your Roku Express+ (3710) will only see and use the 2.4ghz band. (wireless channels 1-11).  

A lot of times buffering is often the result of either network congestion, interference, or internet speed.  Other times, it could be the type of content you are trying on your available device on an available network connection.

The above references to channels below 50 and above 148 apply to the 5ghz band which is not applicable in your situation.  However, the easiest way to see what wireless channel your network on either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band is using at any given time is to install a "wifi analyzer" to your mobile device/phone from the Google Play/Apple Store.  Most networks are set to Auto channels, so these channels can sometimes switch to an unsupported channel (50-148 DFS channels) on the 5ghz band that will cause disconnections to devices that do not support this feature, like the Roku.  

Analyzers will provide you information on your existing network as well as info of whether a better setup may exist. (less crowded channels you can select).  Sometimes even moving the Roku device around a little bit to achieve a better antenna signal will help.

-----

For the 2.4 ghz band (in your situation), you can login to your router and try making some changes  to the assigned wireless channels as well as maybe lowering the bandwidth/channel width.

Try these settings and see if your condition improves...

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

----

Feel free to post back if still having issues or need more help.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Not_a_Techie
Channel Surfer

Thanks for your help.  I know what my router is, how to connect it, and how to re-set to factory.  Don't have a clue how to log into it or that I even could.  Can you give me the router for dummies version, please 🙂

AvsGunnar

@Not_a_Techie 

Depends on the router.  What is the router model number and your ISP (internet service provider).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Not_a_Techie
Channel Surfer

I rent the router from my ISP and contacted them first.  I thought my roku used to pick up the 5 ghz, so they thought the problem was with the roku.  I probably shouldn't mess with the router.  I'll contact them again.  Thanks!