Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
disconnected
Level 7

Problem at hotel with two-tiered internet

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ and have used it in successfully in several Marriott properties. Marriotts generally offer two internet connection speeds, both requiring authentication: a free, lower-speed connection and a paid (or free for some membership tiers) higher-speed connection. I always use the higher speed version and I assume that after I do the laptop steps to get the Roku connected that it gets the same speed as the laptop, although I don’t know this for sure.

We are currently in an older Marriott Courtyard and I’m unable to complete the setup. The Roku finds the Courtyard_GUEST network, does its checks and comes back saying it is connected, but it doesn’t bring up the screen with the hotel/dorm option. If I tell it to check connections it says it is connected to the network but not to the internet and then it displays a message saying internet download speed is poor, error code 18.

I don’t see any way to bypass this error to get to the laptop setup and the higher speed connection.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Problem at hotel with two-tiered internet

I suggest going into the Roku settings menu and find the Network Reset function. I can't recall offhand exactly where it's located. That resets all saved WiFi settings, and should let you do the setup again at the Marriott. For what it's worth, I've never had any issue either at Marriott or Hilton, both which offer different connection tiers. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
disconnected
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, the reset didn't help. The new setup went through the same steps as before, with the same result. I'm thinking that probably the slower speed at most hotels is at least barely acceptable to the Roku and that this hotel is so bad that the Roku refuses to even attempt working with it.
0 Kudos
lt_mikey
Level 7

I'm having the same issue at a Fairfield Inn which is also a Marriott property.  It would be nice if Roku gave you the option of engaging the Hotel/Dorm Mode so you could select the higher level internet. 

Is there a way to manually engage the Hotel/Dorm Mode?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@lt_mikey wrote:

I'm having the same issue at a Fairfield Inn which is also a Marriott property.  It would be nice if Roku gave you the option of engaging the Hotel/Dorm Mode so you could select the higher level internet. 

Is there a way to manually engage the Hotel/Dorm Mode?

Hotel/Dorm mode requires Device Connect to be enabled in the Advanced Systems settings. if it is disabled, you never get the hotel prompt. Check that setting, then try connecting to the hotel wireless again. I travel to both Marriott and Hilton properties often, and never have a problem choosing the higher tier. But I will say that using my iPad as the device to complete the selection is hit or miss. It will time out before I can complete the connection. If I use my laptop it works first time every time. 

I will say that at one Marriott I stayed at a while back I was granted Internet access without needing to access the Marriott Internet access page. In that case, the Hotel mode prompt never appeared, and I had complete access. For the prompt to appear, the Roku has to recognize that it connects to the network but doesn't have Internet access. If you go straight to the Internet, without needing to enter your room credentials, there's nothing you can do to make the Hotel prompt appear. But that means you wouldn't get the prompt on a computer either, so you'd never be able to select the higher tier connection.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos