Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Premier broadcasts its own SSID ad hoc WiFi Hot Spot :(

The biggest issue for me is my lack of control over broadcasting the Roku and not being able to change the SSID to something more obscure.  I tried to access it via my wifi portal but was unable to change the SSID even though I could see the device on the network.  

In a way, it's like an advertisement for Roku.  But, it's also a potential invitation to curious third parties to try to crack it and interfere with it.

Either way, it's not ideal and is unwanted from my perspective as a customer who wants control over the home network.

Thanks for listening.  I hope that something can be done to change this.  
0 Kudos
Level 11

"HotTipsHooligan" wrote:
The biggest issue for me is my lack of control over broadcasting the Roku and not being able to change the SSID to something more obscure.  I tried to access it via my wifi portal but was unable to change the SSID even though I could see the device on the network.  

In a way, it's like an advertisement for Roku.  But, it's also a potential invitation to curious third parties to try to crack it and interfere with it.

Either way, it's not ideal and is unwanted from my perspective as a customer who wants control over the home network.

Thanks for listening.  I hope that something can be done to change this.  

This has been the case for years. People have tried to exploit it. As far as I can tell, no one ever has. There's nothing to worry about on this - what exactly do you think is exploitable here?
0 Kudos

This is the first time that I noticed this issue.  I have an older Roku that does not broadcast anything.

As for your question about security, I completely agree with what Pokey3new posted in June 2013, on the "Roku 3 shows up as a WiFi Hotspot" thread:  

I surprised myself: I read the entire thread.
I have just recently got Roku3, set it up via Ethernet, and observed Roku's hotspot Oxnak reported.  I am not comfortable with that, and I would like to invite the tech experts stating that wifi direct is no securitythread to look outside the box. Please follow my thought.
1. if there is a wireless connection it may get compromised.  I hope you agree.  
2. having it listed among other hotspots lowers the bar from experienced hackers to beginners that may be tempted to get in.
2. what does Roku's remote control do? Funny, you say. It controls the box. That's why it is called a remote control. Once the connection between the remote and the box is compromised, _hypothetically_ control over thebox may be gained.
3. now we do the math: you have control over the box + you have a wi-fi transmission channel = you can watch online television via my Roku3. And that's what my "household" mentality fears the most, in this case. This is what "security" boils down to to me, as a movie watcher. This may result in saturated internet bandwidth, my movies will start breaking up, losing sound, and I will not be getting the pleasant entertainment experience I've got used to.

Please don't try to discard this because "no one in their right mind" would do such a thing. People have been known to do things much less attractive than that.  
I don't buy the statement that wifi direct is short range - my dual band wifi adapter can see 4 out of 5 bars two rooms down the hall from where my Roku is.  I m sure my neighbours next door can see it, too. And so would 
wardrivers.
Oh, yeah, one more thing: did anyone wonder how secure the Ethernet connection between Roku and the router is? As someone mentioned here, the secure computer is with no network connections and no power (i.e., turned off). So, by compromising the connection to the router, and then - to your home computer, a real security breach may happen.
0 Kudos
Level 13

Like I said earlier, your own wifi is less secure than this connection.  But if you want it off, then buy a Roku Express which only uses IR and then move on.  
0 Kudos
Level 7

I realize you are leery of support from strangers however it would seem that if you are unable to access Wi-Fi yourself and change the SSID this would show how difficult it would be for someone outside of your home to access the Wi-Fi as well.
FYI I have a bachelor's degree in computer networking and work for a multimillion-dollar, government-funded organization doing tech support for about a seven state area.
0 Kudos