Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Premier broadcasts its own SSID ad hoc WiFi Hot Spot :(

The premier box broadcasts an SSID. 

Apparently,  an adhoc wifi hot spot was built into the box. I am not comfortable with that and want to turn it off but there is apparently no way to turn it off and opt out of that "feature." It is an unnecessary security risk.

Also, when the HDMI cord is plugged in, the TV remote no longer changes channels even though I followed the simple instructions and switched the TV input from HDM2 back to HDM1 setting for the TV. It should be able to switch back and forth seamlessly.

I have everything plugged in correctly and it works great other than that. But it would be nice to talk to a qualified human and resolve these issues. 

The fact that there is no phone or chat support for Roku is terrible.  Customer service is dead. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Premier broadcasts its own SSID ad hoc WiFi Hot Spot :(

That's not the premier broadcasting on your network, it's the remote. It's a WiFi direct connection to the box.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

So, if I take out the batteries and do not use the remote, the ad hoc WiFi hot spot will still be running in the background.  Apparently, there is no way to turn it off or disable it.  Is that correct?  And there is no way to change the password on it or make sure it's using a more secure password?

I have an older Roku that does not use an ad hoc WiFi hot spot and could use that remote if I want, right?  But there is no point if the hot spot will still be running.  

There is nothing about this in their specs.  

Also, the HDMI cable messes up the TV channel tuner so I have to unplug the cable when I'm not using Roku.   Not great.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Correct, it's a peer to peer network only, if I understand the technology correctly.. nobody can hack into that connection as it only recognizes the remote as a device, if I understand not correctly (and I could be wrong).

You could use any compatible Infrared remote with a Roku box. The only Rokus that don't work with Infrared are the sticks.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

Pairing the remote with the box via Bluetooth seems like a better option or with infrared technology.  Bluetooth can be insecure too but seems more practical and limited for this capacity.  

WiFi is inherently more insecure and impractical.  At the very least, they should offer consumers a way to access and change the password so that a default password is not used.  Really poor planning and design.  

I will only hook up the box on an as-needed basis.  

I'm also annoyed that Roku does not have an effective tech support system in place and does not support their products and customers.  They need a phone number, email and chat support readily available with trained and knowledgeable English-speaking techs.  
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 10

From what I understand, the password is randomly generated.  There is no "default" and it is different on every box.  It's less of a security risk than your actual wifi.
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

Roku has Wi-Fi direct built into it. By no means is there a bridge into your Network from this (separate subnets). It's purely for the Remote, Miracast, Hotel/Dorm room function, and the headphone through the remote feature. There's more bandwidth/range with Wi-Fi Direct than there is with Bluetooth (for the Miracast especially). Nothing to worry about, it's secure. Has been brought up many times on the forum, nothing to worry about. Since Roku keeps their OS code pretty tight (to prevent hacking their devices for non-authorized use), there's no way to hack it.

[Content edited per Forum Guidelines] (BTW, most helpdesks will not have highly trained people, it will be either people that just need a paycheck or people getting their foot in the door, so are fairly new to the product they are supporting, expect level 1 people, never expect to talk to an engineer directly). 

As for the changing HDMI ports easily, this depends more on your TV's ability than Roku's. Usually, there's an "INPUT" button on your TV remote (or cable box remote) that changes the HDMI inputs. Maybe looking for a Universal Remote might help as well.

These are more general knowledge learning questions than calling support for problems, the techs you'd get probably would not understand the issues you're having.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

[Edited previous post.] 

Support contact information can be found for your specific Roku device at: https://support.roku.com/contactus

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

Yes, exactly.  That "support" link leads to dead ends:  no human support.  Just self-support articles that may not address the situation.  Been there, done that.

This forum is the only place where customers can address concerns about the adhoc wifi and it is answered by mysterious people who may or may not know what they're talking about instead of trained professionals.  Don't get me wrong -- it's better than nothing but not what a corporation should be offering to back up their products.

When people address the adhoc wifi issue, the conversation is turned to whether it's a security issue or a performance issue.  Why can't it be both? Why are people who are concerned about a security issue summarily dismissed?

The point is that Roku needs to be upfront and honest about their products and how their customers can access the wifi page and change the default SSID that is broadcasted and the password to one of their choosing (if desired).   
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing the comments here. We appreciate hearing customers' thoughts, and are always looking for ways to continue improving. 

The SSID you are referring to is only used for wireless, point-anywhere enhanced remote functionality. It cannot be utilized as a network for any other purposes, and is not intended to be modified such as you described. We'll be sure to pass along your feedback to the team though. 

Thanks again,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos