Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Tarzan61
Level 8

Poor internet connection

I develop software for a living so this stuff is not foreign to me. I’ve read all the troubleshooting articles and some of the posts here to try to resolve my issue but nothing helps.

I have 400 Mb per second internet speed, So speed shouldn’t be an issue. My Wi-Fi router is directly below my bedroom so I’m pretty close to the signal. With 400 speed I would imagine connecting at a much higher rate than the Roku is connecting at. It connects from anywhere from 2 Mb to 30 Mb. Considering I have 400 speed and the location is nearby that seems odd.

What is the best way to boost signal strength? My router can also put out 5G but your Roku device won’t recognize that network. I can also go into the Wi-Fi router and change any settings if it will help fix this issue

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dgrace
Level 11

Re: Poor internet connection

Do you have a way (phone or tablet app) to test the router signal at the roku? Does your router have external antennas? You may know this, but radio waves emanate from antennas perpendicular to the antenna, basically a horizontal doughnut to a vertical antenna. Being directly above or below would be poor reception.

Another thought is home construction. Is it just a wooden floor or are there metal ducts or possibly in floor heating? Sometimes just moving router/roku a little bit improves reception. Is the roku close to any other electronics? Poor wifi is possible from any strong electrical field, or even speaker magnets. 

Just things to look for, and possibly mitigate.

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Tarzan61 

Hi there, 

Simple tip to start with, try changing the wireless broadcast channel on your router to one that is not in use by other networks around you. This can help eliminate wireless interference that may be impacting your device's connection. Your ISP or wireless router manufacturer can assist with that. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
Highlighted
Tarzan61
Level 8

I can use the iPad to test the signal at the device. Last night the device was at 42 MPS speed vs the night before at 1 MPS. I'm wondering if it's a bandwidth issue. I also ordered the free extender. My son has a Roku twice as far away and he has no issues.

Many thanks.

PS. Is that Zappa?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tarzan61
Level 8

Before I posted I went into my router, I was hoping to change the channel (Default setting is 5) but I didn't want to isolate all devices to the same channel. I set my Xbox to specific ports abut I could not add the Roku and set the channel just for it.

Worked fine last night as I mentioned in my previous reply.

I have the premiere plus, I cannot see if it can connect to 5G. I does not recognize the 5G network, only 2.4.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dgrace
Level 11

The extender cable may do the trick, if the tv itself is between the roku and your router. There are free wifi apps that will show you all nearby wifi, the strength and channels. 

By channels, we mean the options in your router that the entire band, be that the 2.4 or 5 ghz band, uses. In the 2.4 band you commonly see 1 through 11 (or 14). The 5 ghz band is broader, but can be less crowded but weaker. Many owners just use router on default channel, so it can get crowded on channels 1, 7 or 11. 

Life long fan of the musical genius that FZ was. 

FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dgrace
Level 11

Another thought I had was what version of wifi is your router offering up, G, N, AC? If G then you may be getting the best speed already. 

You may have said in your first post, but I didn't read it again before typing this.

The wifi app I use on my Kindle is Wifi Analyzer. It displays a relative strength of all detected networks, and which, if any, overlap.

FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tarzan61
Level 8

The router allows me to create two separate networks, 2G and 5G. The Roku device will not recognize the 5G network. The TV or should I say the device is directly between the TV and the router one floor below.

Everything worked fine last night so I’m hoping the Wi-Fi extender cable Will do the trick. What I don’t understand is if I’m putting out 400 speed why is the Roku device only connecting at a max of around 30?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dgrace
Level 11

Like I was saying earlier, depending on your routers abilities (b, g, n, ac etc) you'll only get near that speed. For instance, the older G router wifi had a max transfer of 54 mbps. It would be rare though to actually get that. Now, if your router is newer, better featured, you should see higher, but you really only need about 10 mbps to stream HD anyway.

FZ
0 Kudos