Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeHW
Level 8

Poor Network Connection on Roku Premier

Hi, 

Like many others have already reported, my Roku device has started showing a poor network connection. I have a mesh router and get ~100 mbps everywhere in the house. Have tried restarting my router & modem, restarted the roku.. all multiple times. 

How do I get this troubleshooted properly so I don't have to buy a new streaming device?

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16\
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Poor Network Connection on Roku Premium

@MikeHW 

Let's start with determining which device you have. There has not been a Roku model called "Premium." There were a few different models called Premiere and Premiere+, so I think you have one of those. However, there were different versions of those, and the network capabilities were different. Some were dual band, and some where 2.4 GHz only. The model number will tell us.

What is the model number and Roku software version? Settings > System > About 

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MikeHW
Level 8

My mistake! Thank you, yes it's a Premiere, serial number YH002D953888. Also if it's helpful, the software version is 10.0.0, build 4209-91.

0 Kudos
MikeHW
Level 8

You also asked for the model number, which is 3920RW.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@MikeHW 

The Roku Premiere model 3920 -- suffix is unimportant for this; RW just means you bought it from Walmart -- is 2.4 GHz only. Since the 2.4 GHz band has been in use for a longer period of time than the 5 GHz band, more devices of many types use that band. Many smart home appliances use it, for instance.

Also, nearby devices, even on other networks using the same channel, can cause interference. I'd suggest looking at the channel your WiFi router is using. It's probably set to 1, 6, or 11 (or Auto, which could be any of those). You could use the Roku menu to see what channel it's using. Where I'm going with this is you may need to try a different channel.

As you've restarted your router already, that didn't encourage it to pick a different channel. So, you may need to pick one yourself. I maintain a couple of residences' networks, and for one, I had to pick channel 11, for another I had to pick channel 1. So, it really depends on the local environment; that is, devices close by, even on other networks, that are crowding the channel.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
MikeHW
Level 8

Actually bought it from Amazon, but no matter.

What are the steps for choosing the channel? I don't recall seeing that option when I was fiddling with it.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@MikeHW 

That's a setting for your WiFi router, not Roku.

Oh, the suffix is the distribution channel. R, X, RW, EU, and so on. And RW is for Walmart. I wonder if @makaiguy , @renojim , @atc98092 or others have seen Amazon selling from other designated distribution channels.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
MikeHW
Level 8

Thanks. I have a Google Nest router, and there doesn't appear to be a way to manually change the channel. It automatically selects it for you. There shouldn't be too much congestion as we live in a fairly sparse neighborhood, houses aren't very close together.  

It's worth noting that I've had this Roku since June of 2020 and haven't had this "poor connection" issue until recently. 

0 Kudos
renojim

I hate to say it, but I have a 3920 and it's pure garbage.  I wouldn't waste my time on it.  You'll see plenty of people with 3920s with Wi-Fi and/or overheating problems.  If it's still under warranty try to get it replaced.

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MikeHW
Level 8

I'm sure it isn't as I've had it over a year. Hoping Roku will stand behind their product and do something to keep me as a Roku customer. 

0 Kudos