Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimB4
Level 8

Poor Internet Download Speed with Streaming Stick+ (3800 series)

I have two TV's using Roku Streaming Stick+ devices.  Both worked fine for several months, then one began having issues with displaying Netflix and Prime movies.  Checking the network connection (Settings/Network/Check Connection), the WiFi signal strength indicated "good" but the internet download speed was "poor" measuring 0 - 2 MBPS.  The other TV/Roku combination was physically further away from my wireless router and on a different floor of the house, but measured an internet download speed of 45 MBPS.  I chatted with Roku support several times, and they felt it must be an intermittent internet problem.  Switching Roku's between TV's did not solve the problem - the TV closest to the router was always the one with the poor signal.  Finally I switched the power cords that lead from the USB port on the TV to the Roku stick, and the problem followed the power cord.  Turns out the power cord also contains an "AWR" (Advanced Wireless Receiver) which is basically the WiFi antenna for the Roku stick.  When I chatted with the Roku help line again, the representative checked and it turns out that faulty AWR's are a known issue and Roku agreed to send me new ones.  Problem solved!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
COTOTK777
Level 7

Re: Poor Internet Download Speed with Streaming Stick+ (3800 series)

I've had this issue as well and I must admit, I'm a little concerned when this post over 3 months ago and there is no response. I would appreciate someone from Roku responding with a solution. I've already tried the whole bit with factory reset, resetting the router, contacting the ISP and none of that has a solution. Which tells me it is a Roku issue, not my router, not my internet or wi-fi. Please someone from Roku, a response would be appreciated on this issue. Especially if you would like to continue getting someone to purchase your products. Thanks!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 12

@COTOTK777 

The original poster stated that the fix to his problem was to replace the power cord (AWR) of the streaming stick.  The power cord acts as a wi-fi antenna booster/extender.  As such, replacing the power cord improved the streaming stick's wi-fi receiving strength which in turn allowed the user to notice better streaming speeds. 

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/streaming-stick      Power adaptors specific to model.

This may or may not be your issue, but this seems to be the resolution to the above issue of this particular user.

0 Kudos
JimB4
Level 8

I don't know if your issue is the same as mine, but it sounds very similar and the solution was replacing the power cord/antenna.  The hardest part of the process was figuring out how to talk to a live Roku representative - if you can do that, they will likely send you a free replacement as they did for me.  Here's how I found the active help chat that they will answer..........there is also a phone number and honestly I don't recall if I was successful via chat of phone call, but one of them worked to assess a real person who sent me the replacement.

They don't make it easy, but here's how to navigate to the right page.....click on Support/Support Home.  Then click on "Setup and Troubleshooting".    Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, and right above the purple banner, on the right you will see "Agent Support" and under that, you click on "check support options".  In the drop-down menu that appears, select "questions about setup or using my Roku" and click "Continue".  

Now, you have to select a product, and some do not give you the chat option.  I have a Roku Streaming stick+ and that one does have the option to chat with a support person so I would pick that one if your's does not give you the option.  Next, you have to select an issue - choose "wireless network setup and reliability". Ignore the menu that appears and click the purple button (lower right) that says "Need More Help".  That will FINALLY take you to a page where you can contact customer support by chat or email.  

Like I said, they don't make it easy and don't ask how I figured this out!

0 Kudos